Weatherproof Your Satellite Dish?

The folks at Cytonix Corporation claim they’ve got a solution to rainy/snowy-day satellite dish outages with their new WX2100 spray-on coating.

dish in stormAccording to the company, “WX2100 is a long-lasting, super hydrophobic coating that repels rain, snow and ice, keeping satellite dishes and radomes dry even in heavy precipitation and preventing the buildup of snow and ice.”

Apparently this stuff has been used to reduce rain issues has been successfully used to reduce “rain fade” in commercial and military satellite operations for some time.

Now if I could only get up on my roof…

1. Jim Brown says:

Hello! Not sure who posted this blog entry about WX2100, but getting on your roof may soon be no problem. Installers are picking up this product and will soon be able to get on the roof for you…at installation or in response to an outage complaint. Please note that I work for Cytonix, the manufacturer of WX2100. jb

2. Jim says:

Fade from water on the dish is a fraction of the problem. Most rain fade 99% is due to heavy rain sheets in weather fronts rolling in line of sight between the satellite and the dish. WX2100 won’t help that any more than bug spray would repel a hurricane!

3. Tom ramrod says:

I sprayed some on my wakkerdill and found it real slippery

4. Robert says:

The poster telling you that water build up on the dishes surface NOT being the problem is correct! Anybody with a dish knows that you can be having heavy rain, the dish is getting soaked yet you have perfect picture, then on another occasion you will have very little rain and the picture fades out. Thats because in the first case the clouds are not blocking the line of sight to the satellite but in the second the clouds are blocking the satellite. Cloud coverage and sheeting rain blocking the signal play a 95% part in signal loss, the wet surface of the dish is only about 5% of the problem

5. Jack says:

when it rains it pours, so I just use a zip loc,or a plastic bag white one perferbly works wonders for us

6. Gary says:

While this product may not prevent signal loss during a rain storm, it does, however, sound as if it will help repel snow in the winter. I have lost my signal on many occasions due to snow buildup on my dish. By the way, Jim Brown, where is this product available? Do you have a website where it can be purchased? Thank You!