Hp Pavilion Hdx: the World’s Largest Laptop?

While most of the world is interested in making computers more and more portable, HP has taken the opposite approach with their high end gaming notebook.

hp hdx

The centerpiece of the new HP Pavilion HDX is its whopping 20-inch widescreen display, capable of displaying high definition content at up to 1680 x 1050 pixel resolution (plans for a full 1080p display are reportedly in the works.) The fully decked-out system comes with a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 CPU, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600XT graphics, a 400GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM. There’s even a digital high definition television tuner on board.

Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n and Bluetooth connectivity are built in. Plus, the system comes with pretty much every connection option you’d ever need, including: USB, Firewire, HDMI, VGA, eSATA, 5.1 audio, IR Blaster, antenna, s-video input and output, microphone and dual headphone jacks.

All this power does come at a price however. The HDX weighs in at a hefty 15.5 pounds, almost triple the weight of compact notebooks these days. Priced as configured above, it’ll set you back over $4000, but systems will start around $3k.

[via LAPTOP]

1. CO says:

That is one big laptop. That must be close to 15-20lbs to lug around. Might as well get a powered desktop instead.

2. Scritcher says:

I have one of these, the way i had it outfitted (CTO is the way to go!) it cost me $4K. It s sweet machine and games OK once i ripped the guts out of Vista.

The whole thing is very impressive just sitting there but it’s a bit of a load to actually put it on my lap. So I built a little tray to put it on and actually put it on my lap without it cooking my knees, (4-6 hours a day but i am comfy in a recliner). The tray is nothing more than a piece of hardboard with two wooden mouldings epoxied to it to make a 1″ space under it.

Its quite a head turner at the coffee shop too! If you’re a gamer geek go for it, but more practically; if you do presentations to fairly small groups you can leave your projector and the often embarrassing fumbling with it behind and let the gorgeous 20″ monitor do the job.

3. Thomas says:

This laptop is AWESOME!

4. Emmanuel says:

This laptop is awesome but where could i find the best deal at for the price’

5. AppleEater says:

Look guys…let’s face it when the PC world tries to offer you a DESKTOP disguised as a LAPTOP disguised as a BLACK MACBOOK than you know there is a problem. What adds slt to your wounds is that HP thinks you guys are gullible enough to spend $3000 to $4000 for computing power to play Zombie games. If you want an excellent large screen with just enough computing power that will keep you up to date until the next technological change occurs, than my suggestion is to to take a deep breath, walk into an Apple store and buy a MacBook Pro 17 inch and enjoy life without crashes or viruses. Cheers !

• rawraj says:

I don’t think you get the point here!!! Its 20inch screen for crying out loud!!!
      What the hell can you see in a 17 inch screen especially when games have gone so high resolution and HD..Whats the point of watching an HD on 17inch screen Even if it has the HD resolution.

I am all game for such laptop as a webdesigner. I cannot design sites for 17inch monitors on a 17inch monitor If I want to view my entire design. The toolbars and palattes take up the space.

• Yepyep says:

macs actually have a larger pipeline for virus to enter and less security than a pc. no one codes viruses for macs though because macs are actually a niche product that is inferior to PCs and simply costs more and supposedly makes a fashion statement which is the only reason most people purchase a mac. It is actually easier to create malware for mac OS than pc OS.

Macs make up less than 5% of the computer population, there is no reason to create a virus for 5% of the population when you can create one for 95% of the population.

and no one making malware is really interested in making simple programs, let alone target a small group. It is a challenge to make malware that can infect the majority population and bypass a higher level of security.

So yes you will be almost virus free as a a mac owner, but not because your computer and its OS is better in any way, because it is not.

• Anonymous says:

Macs are not more virus proof, they just are not targeted cuz of the market. Look at it this way. A Mac is like living in a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere without any locks. A pc is like living in a locked house with barred windows in the bad part of town. (I didn’t make this metaphor up, I heard it from someone else)

• ApplesCanFitInWindows says:

Well if i Walked In An Apple Store And Took A Deep Breath I Would only Be Doing So To Blow The ******* Shit To Hell. I’ll Take An Old Broken Ass Piece Of Shit Windows 32 Desktop Before Any Apple EVER. Plus Apple Will Never Run As Good As My Sony With Windows 7 ULTIMATE 64 Bit.

6. IPeeOnApple says:

^ Gee, a bit late there mate. This laptop is already phased out. ROFL

7. AppleFails says:

What is up with Mac users talking about crashes? My PC has never crashed…..and if by some chance it gets a nearly unfixable virus, reformat my OS partition and it’s good as new.

I’ll think about walking into an Apple store when they offer a Mac comparable to a PC I can’t build for 1/4th the cost.

8. DumUser says:

Looks like desktop w/o any cable, but I didn’t see any batteries within. So I prefer using regular desktop

9. miley says:

cualquira tiene ese ordenador portatil solo sale un millo besos y nno soy miley cirus soy miley brat

10. kikoti says:

Its fantastic machine ever, purchased it two years ago, you need some breakfast to carry it around