R2-D2 Grinds Out Fresh-a Pepp-a

Star Wars may be over 30 years old, but that hasn’t stopped those LucasFilm merchandising folks from cranking out fresh ideas. That’s why I’m absolutely loving these R2 unit pepper mills.

rs d2 pepper mill

Imagine having the boss over for dinner, asking if he’d like some pepper on his salad, then whipping out one of these little droids. You’ll surely get that promotion you’ve been clamoring for.

Just twist R2′s head, and out comes fresh-ground pepper. The mills come in both R2-D2 (white/blue) and RD-Q5 (black) versions, although I wish that the white one was salt, and the black one was pepper. All I need now is a C-3PO oil and vinegar dispenser and I’ll be good to go.

Star Wars fans can pre-order the R2 pepper mills now from NCSX for $19 each.

1. pdw says:

Sure the white/blue R2 unit could be salt, you’d just need to use sea salt or some other ungrounded salt.

I guess I always thought that a salt grinder had a different mechanism than a pepper grinder, but I bet you’re right.

Guess I should order a pair after all.

3. pdw says:

Hmm, didn’t think there could be difference between the two mechanisms for salt/pepper. Now you got me wondering if its possible…

A-ha…

Sounds like salt mills might have a special mechanism that resists corrosion. So if you put salt in one of these you could end up with an R2 unit on the scrap heap.

5. Richard says:

americans really are fools and will purchase anything. No wonder China will overthrow you morons in 2010.

6. Vanessa says:

You can only put Salt in a ceramic grinder – most pepper grinders are made with metal parts instead of salt. Pepper normally requires a metal part because it is quite tough to grind but metal will corrode if you put salt with it. I work in homewares :)