Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob in Your Mailbox! Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Worst Casemod Ever: Ubuntubox Cardboard Pc

by Paul Strauss

This computer has to be the biggest hunk of junk I’ve ever seen. Cobbled together from cardboard, red duct tape and embellished with a Sharpie, the UbuntuBox V1.0 certainly won’t win any awards for build quality.

Ubuntubox Cardboard Casemod

Ubuntubox Cardboard Casemod

Ubuntubox Cardboard Casemod

According to the builder, the guts of the old Pentium 3 tower are being used to power this Ubuntu Linux computer. He claims that the system really does work, and despite its cardboard construction, it has yet to spontaneously burst into flames.

I’d be happy to send him a lighter and some accelerant if that helps him achieve his goal faster.

[via flickr]

Comments are closed for posts older than 90 days.

1. Erik says:

Wow. This could be a fire hazard, I think. Why even have a case? You might as well just leave it in the open air. Easier to dust off, change out ram, etc.

And if you’re going to use a cardboard box and call it an Ubuntu box, couldn’t you at least spray paint the Ubuntu symbol or something?

It kind of does a disservice to Ubuntu–like it’s the operating system of cardboard boxes and hobos. Oh well.

I thought that Windows Vista was the OS of hobos.

3. Edd Morgan says:

No, Vista is the OS of rich idiots (and running Vista on one of my machines, I am proof of this).

Ubuntu is the OS of hobos (it’s true, I have scientific evidence*), and should be right at home in a decrepit cardboard box.

* Evidence may not exist.

4. deepdig says:

It’s hard to avoid humid weather
    not a good design

5. luisao_bahia says:

If UBUNTU works in such computer, imagine what UBUNTU could be in a CORE QUAD DUO, ‘n’ GB of RAM and ‘m’ TB of winchester (*)….lllooolll !!

(* winchester is HD, i am of old scholl huahuaha).

6. xwn says:

Reminds me of what a friend did some time ago… he also build his pc inside a cardboard box, but he did it better than this guy, as his box featured water-cooling. And no, this is not a joke.

7. Glen says:

if you dont like your computer just give it to me and i wll take care of it

Our Latest & Greatest Posts...

Remote AR Augmented Reality Troubleshooting App: Call a Friend 2.0

Remote AR Augmented Reality Troubleshooting App: Call a Friend 2.0

Darth Vader Helmet Mug for Darth Roast Coffee

Darth Vader Helmet Mug for Darth Roast Coffee

Review: Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Drone

Review: Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Drone

Sherlock Funko POP! Action Figures are Elementary, My Dear Watson.

Sherlock Funko POP! Action Figures are Elementary, My Dear Watson.

The X-files LEGO Set That Almost Was