Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob Daily: Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Glofab: Fiber Optic Lights That Don’t Suck

by Paul Strauss

When I think of fiber optic lighting, all that comes to mind are those awful 1970s starburst lamps. So I was so thrilled when I came across these beautiful organic designs which use the same basic lighting technology that begat such ugliness in the first place.

GloFab Fiber Optic Lighting

Created by Torbjörn Lundell of Sweden’s GloFab, these unusual fixtures radiate an ethereal glow as light courses through their fibrous veins.

GloFab Fiber Optic Lighting

GloFab Fiber Optic Lighting

I like to think of GloFab like an illuminated textile. By weaving intricate patterns of fiber optic cable, then connecting them to a bright light source, these wondrous glowing sculptures come to life.

GloFab Fiber Optic Lighting

GloFab lighting is available as either a woven fabric or in a spherical design, and are available only on a custom-quoted basis at this point.

[via designboom]

Comments are closed for posts older than 90 days.

1. Eric says:

Why do you show such cool items that either cannot be bought in North America or unique/limited run items that are exorbitantly high in cost?

I actually try to mix it up. It’s all about cool and unusual stuff. Sometimes that means $10 stuff you can find here in the states, and other times, it means $50,000 stuff that’s only available in Timbuktu. It’s still newsworthy in my opinion, even if it’s not easily procured.

3. John says:

Well Eric, now you know how many of us international readers of technabob often feel. And where does it say that this blog is only for US residents? Quit your bitchin.

I really try not to discriminate. I happen to live in the US, so I have a tendency to feature more US items than anything else, but if I see something unique in other countries, I’ll write about those things too. Someday, I hope to offer the site in localized flavors for readers around the globe.

5. Eric says:

My point is that these items should be offered internationally for purchase. However, I do concede many are conceptual art/prototypes.

6. viktor says:

Hi. We are interested in Solar Fiber Optic Lighting, you have a catalog and price list? Do you have Skype? Please add me on Skype. My skype viktor7185.
    C respect Victor

Our Latest & Greatest Posts...

LEGO Nautilus Concept is Just 4000 Votes Under the Target