Wii Fit Balance Board Controls World of Warcraft

I haven’t come across too many hacks involving the Wii Fit Balance Board yet, but they are starting to emerge. In this recent demo, the board has been configured to control 3D movement in a game of World of Warcraft 3.

Wii Fit Balance Board Warcraft

A couple of guys from DFKI (the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence) took a Balance Board and connected it to a regular old laptop PC. A custom C# application communicates with the controller via Bluetooth, translating simple leaning movements on the board into 3D moves on the computer. By leaning forwards, back, left and right on the Balance Board, the player can move through a typical first-person view game with ease.

YouTube Preview Image

While this demo shows off some basic movements within Google Earth and WOW3, I’d venture to say that it could be easily modified to control any first-person 3D game. Imagine playing a FPS in which you hold onto a gun controller with your hands, and move around the environment by leaning. Even better yet, how about an FPS which supported ducking and dodging bullets on the Balance Board? Now that would be really cool. Only time will tell what other applications end up taking advantage of the board’s unique sensory abilities, but I’d lay odds that Wii Fit is only the tip of the iceberg.

[Balance Board Blog via Hack-a-Day]

1. Balance says:

I found a program that synced up the wimote using bluetooth so I could use the wimote like a mouse to work in WOW. I winder if we could combine that with the balance board?

2. I’ve seen this video before. So impossible.

3. WotLK Prof says:

What?? That is pretty cool, I remember when they hooked up warcraft 3 to voice commands and touch screen.

4. Mickie Roop says:

Hey man nice post, I’ve added you to my RSS reader :) I have a blog about making world of warcraft gold, you can check it out if you want :)

5. Tattoo Tips says:

The strides being made with technology out there just blow me away sometimes.

6. wiiplayer says:

well maybe leaning while keeping your balance might be bit difficult so why not just make crouch,jump,roll mapped to the board/nunchuck while leaving strafe/movements to the nunchuk and turning to the remote

7. Gangster56 says:

Indeed world hunger has to be solved. ,

8. Superiorwowguide says:

I have a wii and I play world of warcraft but I had no idea you could play world of warcraft with the wii. I gotta try it right now.Cool.

9. Tattoo Fever Review says:

The technology we have right now certainly makes the possibilities with gaming, limitless. What we need are more thinktanks of real players that can add to the evolution of the software, game, etc. Awesome! Dave

10. medicus says:

Brilliant. My wife has just got Wii Fit and I would love to see her face when I take it over to play WoW. It would take a lot of practice to learn to control it though, i find the Wii board very sensitive.