Xbox Classic Slims Down to Fighting Weight

LOOKING FOR THE NEW XBOX 360 SLIM? CHECK IT OUT HERE!

While the original Xbox is nary a memory in most of our minds, it’s still a popular console for hacking together media centers and other homebrew apps. But the old black behemoth of a case sure needs an update. So when I saw this custom Xbox build out, I thought to myself, “that’s just what the doctor ordered”.

Modder Coca627 refactored his original Xbox into what he’s coined the “Xbox Slim”, a lean, mean fighting machine, amped up to the max.

To put it in perspective, the original Xbox measured 12.5″(w) x 4″(h) x 10.5″(d), while the Xbox Slim is just 10.2″(w) x 2.3″(h) x 9″(d), a reduction in volume of 60%. And the Slim weighs in at a svelte 4 pounds, less than half the weight of the  ponderous 8.5 pound bulk of the original Xbox.

The Xbox Slim is decked out with a brand spaking new DVD/CD-R slim combo drive, and loaded up with a 2.5″ 60GB hard drive for storage, and built-in Wi-Fi networking. Coca even managed to integrate a hidden receiver for his Logitech wireless controller.

Under the hood, the system managed to slim down thanks to improved cooling, courtesy of a pair of heavy duty Iceberg4 Pro Chip Cooling fans.

The system is modded to run a wide variety of nifty applications including the XBMC media center dashboard and emulators for SNES, Sega Megadrive, NeoGeo and more.

YouTube Preview Image

Now if only he could get it to run Xbox 360 games :)

[via Xbox-Scene]

1. CoolProducts says:

That’s pretty neat. Does anyone know if Microsoft plans on releasing a slimmer version of the xbox?

2. izlekop says:

Merhaba ; ilgi ve alaknız için teşekkür ederim.Xbox oyunu özellikle americada çok oynanıyor. Xbox tanıttığınız için sağolun.Muhteşem bir oyun.

3. MTS says:

I got a few questions, and correct me if I am wrong… What sort of DVD reader is that? From my understanding Xbox DVD readers have extra pins that allow it to have an external eject button. Additional the firm ware is different from normal DVD readers in the sense that the XBOX dvd reader is capable of reading xbox disc. (xbox disc have a different layout structure)

4. MTS says:

I apologyse, I did not click the xbox-scene link which provide asnwers.

5. nabith says:

the most death game is xbox in my life

6. DNA64 says:

For anyone wondering what was used for the WiFi Adapter, I’m almost certain it’s just a MadCatz Wireless N Adapter (upside down). At any rate that would work all the same.

As for the DVD, you can flash the xbox dvd firmware to some PC DVD drives, and make an adapter for the power/eject cable or buy one.