X

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.

I agree
Learn More
Great Geek Gifts in the Technabob Shop!Get Technabob Daily: Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter
Awesomer Media Sites: THE AWESOMER | MIGHTYMEGA | 95OCTANE
subscribe to our rss feedsubscribe via e-mailfollow technabob on twittertechnabob facebook fan pageGoogle+follow us in feedly
Follow Us:
Cool Gadgets, Gizmos, Games and Geek Stuff on Technabob

Physicists Verify E=mc^2. Economy Still Struggling.

by Lambert Varias
Advertisement

In what is dubbed as a “heroic computational effort”, a group of French, German and Hungarian physicists plus the supercomputer equivalent of the Avengers teamed up to verify an equation which Einstein came up with using a pen and a piece – more like three pieces- of paper.

Einstein’s formula for the equivalence of mass and energy states that anything that has mass possesses a certain amount of energy whether or not it’s at rest. Meanwhile, as mentioned in the article, particle physics says that protons and neutrons – from which atoms are made of – are made up of quarks, which are bound together by gluons. What is strange is that gluons have zero mass, while quarks account for just 5% of an atom’s mass, which leaves 95%, or practically all of it, unaccounted for. The physicists discovered that the rest of the mass is actually the energy arising out of the “movement and interaction of quarks and gluons.” In other words, mass is equivalent to energy. Which is what Einstein said. In 1905. Tsk. Ye of little faith.

So what did we learn today? That Einstein’s brain is larger than France, Germany and Hungary plus a bunch of Michael Phelps/LeBron James class of supercomputers put together. His hair was probably made up of brain cells for all we know. Yup. One smart dude.

***Crickets***

In other news, Brock Lesnar won me $8 by beating Randy Couture.

[via The Age via Slashdot]

Deals in The Technabob Shop




More from Awesomer Media...

Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+

Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+

Trailhead Adventure Pant

Trailhead Adventure Pant

Watch a Bugatti Chiron Rocket to 217 mph with Ease

Watch a Bugatti Chiron Rocket to 217 mph with Ease

Novitec Upgrades Maserati Levante

Novitec Upgrades Maserati Levante

Awesome Vintage Photo of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford

Awesome Vintage Photo of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford

Gentle Giant Spider-Man Collectors Gallery 1/8 Scale Statue

Gentle Giant Spider-Man Collectors Gallery 1/8 Scale Statue

Advertisement