Psp-3000 Hacked: One Small Step for Hackers, One Giant Step for Homebrew

And so it has come to pass: a group of developers calling themselves Team Typhoon recently achieved a breakthrough in hacking the PSP-3000 via member Davee’s ChickHEN Homebrew Enabler. As proof, a Team Typhoon member posted a video of ChickHEN at work on YouTube, adding, “This proves that the code survives a reboot and the system software and MAC address can be changed.”

psp3000-hackzorzed

However, the exploit is still in development and has limited functionality. Unlike the hacks for the PSP-1000 and PSP-2000, the HEN TIFF exploit does not allow installation of custom firmware, won’t allow a PSP-3000 to play backups of PSP or PSX games (such as those in .ISO and .CSO formats), load plugins or “touch the flash” of a PSP. That last one sounded a bit dirty. Anyway, Here’s the video of a PSP with 5.03 firmware booting on the HEN environment:

YouTube Preview Image

While the HEN exploit still has no PSP/PSX backup support, it can be used to run emulators – such as the GBA emulator gPSP, pictured below – as well as other homebrew games and programs, such as the well-known PSPTube.

psp-3000-with-gba-emu

Head on to Davee’s website for more details on ChickHEN. You can also download the hack on his website, but make sure that a.) you’re running firmware version 5.03 and b.) you absolutely know what you’re doing, because if you break your PSP you only have yourself to blame. Hackers don’t offer no warranty; they break ‘em.

[via Slashdot]

1. -iZifle.. says:

i have a ?

if chicken hen can run hombrew then why can’t we after running chicken hen then run a hombrew app called hellcats recovery flasher that has M33 files in it

allowing you to run custom firmware ?

idk i don’t have one can’t test it out

• Xmaster says:

With HEN on the 3000 you can’t “touch the flash” and hellcats recovery flasher has to access the flash to use m33.

2. Alex says:

can i get the link to download chicken

• Internet Avenger says:

Google is a mighty mighty tool of the internet. Please make use of it.

• G says:

Unfortunately the psp3000 remained unhacked for a veryyy long time and as such almost all the information on Google Is extremely outdated

so when you search ou just get a flood of old inform

3. Don Juro says:

yea, I used this hack (ChickHen) to get my psp 2000 into hen mode or w/e
    then with hellcats recovery flasher, I installed custom firmware onto my psp, or can you just not install on the 3000?

4. Logicfray says:

just use cfw enabler

• Don Juro says:

that’s the thing, I don’t wanna have to go thru all those steps all the time, I used CheckHEN to flash m33 firmware to my 2000, I just wanna be able to do it on the 3000, I was just wondering why it’s possible on the 2000 and not 3000.

• Logicfray says:

its not really that bad, its two steps, and you only have to do it if you lose power to the psp, if you put it in sleep it will stay “hacked”. I did this on a friends psp and he hasn’t had to redo since i put it on there.

5. PSP says:

I hope this would be better in PSPgo

6. PSP says:

Thanks for sharing great artcles, I will keep coming back to check your site for this kinds of article. Thanks!

7. Free PSP ISO Downloads says:

Good work, but i’m still waiting for them to hack the PSP Go

8. PwBgbqGs says:

oWqJNb

9. newtopsp says:

I just bought a psp and it is a 6.20 I heard this one is unhackable is this true?. I used google to look it up but all I get is no, or some say there is a way but don’t put any information on it is this true is the 6.20 really unhackable?.

• G says:

I’m meeting someone tomorrow who says they can mod a psp3000 with 6.20, post your email and I wll let you know if it works and I will tell you all the info I can about how they do it

All I know is that he has some “tools” that will hack it, he said he bought it for $75(pretty sure he was bsing this)

But anyways, I will tell you more info when I see it in person

• strife98 says:

So how did it go? Did he hack it or not?

• G says:

Yes he was able to hack it permanently. It was very fast, he put a memory card in and it was near instant. I’ll try to post the name of the hack later as I don’t have my psp on me

10. G says:

Ok back, sorry for the huge delay in my response

When I look under system information on my psp3001 that had 6.20 official installed,
    it now says 6.20 PRO-B5 and the MAC address is now Model: 03g