IPhone 3gs Price, Release Date and Specs Announced

Apple today revealed their latest mobile phone, the iPhone 3GS. What’s the “S” stand for you ask? Speed.

iphone_3gs

Even though the 3GS looks virtually the same as the iPhone 3G, the 3GS ups the ante on the prior generation by increasing application speed, battery life, camera resolution, memory and more. According to Apple’s WWDC keynote announcement today, the faster processor in the 3GS increases launch times of popular apps from 2.1x (launching messaging), to 3.6x (opening an Excel spreadsheet). Of course, performance improvements will vary from application to application.

iphone_3gs_new_features

There’s also support for OpenGL|ES, which should improve graphical performance. And processing speed isn’t the only boost – the iPhone 3GS also supports 7.2Mbps HSDPA wireless connections. In addition to the speed hikes, the 3GS adds several new features not supported on the 3G. Battery life is also improved. Here’s a handy battery comparison chart from the guys over at Gizmodo:

iphone_3gs_battery_life

There’s a brand new 3-megapixel camera, complete with auto-focus, auto-exposure, auto-white balance, low light and an auto-macro mode that can capture still images as close as 10cm away.

iphone_3gs_camera

The camera can also capture video at VGA resolution (yawn) at up to 30fps. There was no mention of digital image stabilization, but the video does take advantage of all the auto adjustment modes that the still camera supports. You can even trim your video shots using a slick on-screen timeline interface.

iphone_3gs_voice_control

There’s also a new voice control mode, which lets you not only voice-dial, but select tracks to play in iTunes, open web pages, and control other applications. Hopefully, they’ll open this up to app developers to leverage in their own applications. Also along for the ride is a digital compass, which at first doesn’t sound very exciting, but the addition of a magnetometer to the hardware will enable much greater accuracy in terms of understanding your bearing when in GPS mode – especially on foot.

iphone_3gs_compass

Of course, the iPhone 3GS takes advantage of all of the features of the iPhone 3.0 OS, including cut-copy-paste, landscape keyboard, app store microtransactions, MMS messaging, stereo Bluetooth and much more.

iphone_3gs_side

The iPhone 3GS will be available June 19th in North America and Europe. The 16GB version retails for $199, and the 32GB version is $299, both with a new AT&T 2-year agreement. And if you’re looking for a cheap phone, you can now buy last years iPhone 3G for just $99 bucks. All models are available for pre-order now over on the Apple Store.

Good news. The fine print must not apply to people who have a lapsed contract. I just managed to pre-order a 32GB model for $299 without a problem. Whew!

2. Nice for you Bob!
    I confess that I will keep my old 3G… new features like the 3megapixel camera are not enough for me to upgrade…

3. Lonnie says:

I agree with Franceso. Not worth the coin to replace the 3g at this point. Especially since we get 100 new features with the 3.0 update!

4. Richard says:

AT&T customers who purchased the original iPhone and have not yet upgraded are eligible for the discounted prices on the 3GS, and for a limited time, the $18 upgrade fee is also being waived. However, keep in mind, that MMS and Tethering will not be available from AT&T with the launch of OS3.0 until later this summer. AT&T customers who upgraded to the iPhone 3G, when it first launched last year, will not be eligible for the discount rates but if you upgraded to 3G upon its release, you may qualify for the discounted rates in Decemeber or later. You must be with AT&T for at least 18 months with your new contract before you are eligible for an upgrade and discount rates. But ARFFFFFF at AT&T for not being ready with MMS and Tethering upon 3GS release!!!!

5. Tran says:

So if you buy the new Iphone 3GS 16 GB at an AT&T store does that mean you have to pay another price or do you pay the same price. Which is $199?

• technabob says:

If you’re signing up for a completely new account, the 16GB is $199, and the 32GB is $299. If you’re an existing AT&T customer, it really depends on whether or not you’re under contract or out of contract at present.

6. Jacob says:

As an absolute iphone addict (I had a first generation, waited outside a store all night to be one of the first to get a 3G) I can hardly contain my excitement at the prospect of getting my hands on a 3GS – I just gotta have it!

7. joey says:

so i can get a 32 gb iphone for $299. but with the contract how much is the contract and do i have to get the contract to buy it?

8. WHY APPLE SAY THE COST FOR THE NEW IPHONEs COST $199 – $299 IF THE PHONE COULD COST UP TO $1000 ++ WITH AN AT&T CONTRACT ???

I HOPE THE “S” IS FROM SHIT. you FU**** BASTARDS

PUT IT ON SALE WITH THE PRICE YOU SAD, NOT GET PROFIT AROUND 20% FROM MONEY AT&T OR ORANGE OR OTHER FU**** BASTARDS THAT JUST WANT US TO BE CONNECTED WITH THEM AS MUCH IS POSIBLE.

WAKE UP MY FRIENDS

9. clee says:

We’re trying to get a debate going on our blog about what the new iPhone release means for Apple. Despite the high price and low level of upgrade with the 3G S, they still made a killing in sales. Please chekc us out: http://uimagicinc.com/blog/?p=165

Did you end up upgrading to the new iPhone??

10. harrison says:

how much is it?
    is it 299$
    using contract or not?

11. Gabija says:

For the price I can buy this phone in Ireland?

12. pintu patel says:

in india where i’m goin to buy a new i phone 3gs ..& wht will b the price of new i phone 3gs in india .reply guik

13. none says:

Why don’t you direct your question at the store who is actually selling the phone and who will know the correct pricing for you specific situation? (meaning with or without contract)

14. KUNAL says:

I want to buy apple ipone 3GS without contract. Could you tell the price for both 16GB & 32 GB?
    I know it will be more than $199/$299 but I wanted to know the exact price.

15. cater says:

how much does an iphone 3gs cost in the US without a contract

16. Pedro says:

What is the price of iPhone 3GS in US for who want to use with any sim, I mean, unlocked iPhone 3GS?

17. asif says:

i bought an iphone from an apple store in toronto ,without contract 16gb 3gs the locked version,which i paid $900.just wanted to know have i paid more or thats an average price fer an ipnone to buy without contract in canada…..!

18. punit says:

hey wats dis AT&T contact…huh?

19. Ali Abdullah says:

can i know how to buy iphone 3gs in the UAE and how much it will cost me

20. lolol says:

I want this phone but i dont know how much it is in germany.. will you guys be able to find out for me please?

21. vik says:

can u help me to buy iphone 3gs? how much the price in india?

22. Anjali says:

Hi Vivek,
    I just got my 3gs iphone in Mumbai, I bought it from this site called http://www.bizegator.com ,I got 4 great quotes from sellers and chose the best. Try it out
    -Anj

23. liloia carlo says:

hi my name is carlo… i’ m italian and i want to buy the iphone 3gs 16 gb… where can i buy it??? what site can i buy???

24. Tamerlan says:

Guys hello…i ve looked thru all comments dat r here but wut i do see everywhere is dat de fone costs 199 or 299 with contract but will dis contract take fees? i mean de cost of dis contract? how much is it?! i m interested 2 know as i m awaiting an ifone from de states, i m frm Russia, an i just wanna knw if ma supplier is tellin truth about de price=) thanks for ur time.

25. Mike says:

Will there be any discount on i-phone during Christmas?

26. dasha says:

what’s the price for an iphone 3g 16gb in Poland? is there a site from which i can order it?

27. SAYAM says:

i waana by a iphone 3GS,what about the price of 4GB,8GB,16 GB,& 32GB in Bangladesh and where it could found,mail me at sm108860@gmail.com

28. hassan says:

iphone the best ever.

29. Ismail says:

Dear Sir
    Have A Good Day!
    We Are Interested To Import Your Products GSM iphone 8GB.16GB.32GB . Please Send Us FOB Price.

With Best Regards
    Ismail

30. toto says:

Hello i find a website where it´s possible to buy an Iphone 3gs factory unlocked from Greece Belgium or Italy http://europe-wholesale-iphone3gs-factory.blogspot.com/

31. Amr says:

can i know how to buy iphone 3gs in qatar and how much it will cost me

32. rose says:

hi! I want to buy iphone 3GS. my father will go to whichitaa 1 months later. Where will he look to iphone for buy in whichita??? pls help me!!! Mail me at fgul@ug.bilkent.edu.tr
    pls pls pls . . .

33. ANNY says:

CAN U PLZ TELL ME ABT D PRICE OF 3GS 32GB IN NORTH DAKOTA (north america)

34. Abhisek Chowdhury says:

Is I-phone really on 199$… is this some kind of an offer? Can anyone tell me if it’s of the same price in Amman, Jordan.

35. Greg says:

Buy your Apple iPhone 3GS come with software version 3.1.3. The Fastest iPhone Ever The first thing you’ll notice about iPhone 3G S is how quickly you can launch …. We deal with serious buyer.
    Contact us : e_storeltd@hotmail.com

36. Saim says:

Apple actually has been so good about replacing iPhones with cracked glass. My friend has scratched his glass once (was given a new phone) and cracked the glass once (was also given a new phone) and everything worked out. Maybe different stores have different policies?
    thanks you can also check this for assistence..http://www.what-is-the-price-of-iphone.com/

37. Estimé Shefurd says:

How can I find the cheaper Iphone 3gs to buy online,plase?
    Hello to all the JEHOVAH’S WITENESSES !!!!!!!!!!!

Estimé Shefurd : shefurd1987@yahoo.fr

38. ali rashid khan says:

hey ive got to no whats the price of 13 or 10 gb memoryprice

39. Martin says:

Hi guys nice article, I found a good website for Jailbreak iPhone on the web which will show you how to jailbreak your iphone

40. carlo says:

do you have a iphone 3g that cost 15 dollars ? its okay if its second hand. thank you !

41. Sharon J. says:

I have an iPhone 4 and I can’t live without it. Actually, I don’t know what I ever did without it!