Wifipad Turns Your iPhone Into a Wireless Game Controller

I just came across this nifty new free app over on the iTunes App Store that lets you use your iPhone or iPod Touch to control video games on your computer.

wifipad_iphone

WifiPad provides you with the ability to control any game that uses the keyboard on your computer over a Wi-fi connection. Since you can also design and serve custom gamepads, you can use it to build just about any controller design and custom key assignments you want. It can also be used to build a remote keyboard for other non-gaming applications.

wifipad_server_mac

Just start up the WifiPad desktop server application (Windows or Mac versions available), set up your preferred key mappings for each game, and you’re all set to play your games using your iPhone or iPod Touch screen. It took me just under a minute to get up and running, and I was able to control a bunch of Flash games without any custom setup work.

Sure, there’s nothing quite like the tactile feel of real keys or a joypad beneath your fingers, and there is the potential for lag if you have any Wi-fi connection issues, but it is still kinda cool to whip out your phone and start controlling your games from across the room using your wonderphone’s touchscreen.

You can grab WifiPad now over at the iTunes App Store.

[WifiPad]

1. brandon says:

i still cant get this thing up and running. my iphone won’t connect to computer. can’t see the server… help!!

• technabob says:

Weird. I had no problem. Do you have any sort of firewall software running on your PC? You might have to disable that for this application.

According to the docs: The WifiPad server must have incoming/outgoing TCP port 8989 open as well as incoming UDP port 8989 and outgoing UDP port 8990. Outgoing 8990 is only required for server discovery.

2. Keith says:

How much does this app cost?

3. G335U5 says:

I installed the Wifipad w/ Track Pad, but when i connect with my iPod Touch, it says “Error: Failed to load game pad “Socket”: Parse error gamepad.txt on line 1: Invalid gamepad format. Must contain Tag: GP10 as first entry” Help?

4. StormHawk says:

Yo guys, does anyone know of a program like this that could work for a console like Xbox 360? Let me know please, thanks

5. snes says:

hey ,
    my wifipad on iphone cant find the server on my windows 7 pc , i checked the firewall . the ports , i created a ac hot network , but nothing helps.
    u got an idear why my pc and my phone do not connect to each other ?????

• Winterbreeze says:

I also have Windows 7 om my pc and mine connects. at first it also did not connect. so this is what I did: Opened Network and Sharing Centre -> Set Up a New Connection or Network -> Set up a wireless ad hoc network -> [next] -> [next] -> set security type to No Authentication(open) and checked Save this network. after that i enabled internet sharing. I also connected my router on my pc’s ethernet port so that nouthing else exept my iPod would be on my wireless. I ran the wifipadserver as administrator and there it was everything worked.

6. Bilal says:

its working awesome playing with assasin creed 1,2,and now 3 ,and many more games its awesome

• lameese says:

Hey Bilal
      Did you manage get wifipad to work on assassins creed 2 for mac? i’m having trouble configuring this or getting the game to recognize it. How did you do it?