Apple Tablet Pc Pics, Specs, Price and Release Date Speculation

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last month, tech geeks all around the world have been speculating salivating about the impending announcement of a Apple’s tablet computer, currently rumored to be called the iTablet (I’ve also heard it could be called the MacBook Touch or the iPAD). Today, the guys over at French tech blog NowhereElse dug up this image that purports to be the gadget everyone is craving.

apple_itablet_pics

To me, it looks like a nice bit of Photoshoppery by some dork who just can’t wait for the real thing to come out. But, fake or real, there’s enough industry discussion and gossip out there that I was able to piece together the following rough sketch of what we might expect from the iTablet:

• 9.7-inch multi-touch flat LCD screen
  • Industrial design and thin form-factor reminiscent of the iPhone
  • Will run a variant of the iPhone OS X kernel
  • Apps will be downloaded from the App Store
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built-in
  • SD card reader for storage expansion
  • E-book reader capability to compete with Kindle
  • Possibly will still use hard drive storage, but SSD has also been mentioned
  • Possibly two versions – one for consumers one for education
  • While it will be able to run most iPhone/iPod Touch apps, it won’t make calls or send MMS/SMS
  • Estimated release date: Early 2010
  • Estimated price: Between $699 and $899 (USD)

Here’s a roundup of some of the various Apple tablet design concepts I’ve found, and they range from the sublime to the ridiculous:

Word on the street is that Steve Jobs will reveal the details at an upcoming press conference in early September. With the holiday season upon us, I would think that Apple would want a big product release for the October through December timeframe, but most indications are that it won’t make it to market until 2010.

So will you guys run out and buy an iTablet/MacBook Touch/iPAD when it’s released? Or do you really need another gadget that sits somewhere between your laptop and your iPhone? What do you guys think?

[via BGR | photos: Flickr]

1. james says:

I’m not so sure about this. It’d be a cool gadget, but an $800 10 inch tablet might be a bit awkward to use. It’s too large to put in your pocket or use as an iPod, and the lack of a physical keyboard makes it difficult to use as a computer. That means that it’d basically be a glorified web browser and ebook reader.

However, maybe a bluetooth keyboard/mouse would turn it into a funky miniature mac. We’ll have to wait and see what the gnomes in Cupertino are planning.

2. steve says:

Amazing! Apple Mac Book has already been very popular and now this technology is certainly going to rock the world.This is not only hi-tech but it is looking beautiful.

There are more features and articles on here:

3. kfloyd14 says:

This is definitely a cool must have gadget for some; however, i agree that it would be awkward to use.

4. Stephanie says:

TechnaBob,

Thanks for the amusing image gallery. I’d like to see some of those as being the actual design.

I’ve been waiting for the right Apple product (for me) to come along. This is the one! It looks gorgeous and is a size I can see myself carrying everywhere … even if just to show off! :)

My notebook computer was too heavy to lug around and I finally recycled it.

Steve, the link to the touchuserguide is very helpful! Thanks!

5. mjtrout says:

Why on earth did I not find out that the iphone can ONLY run one app at a time prior to buying?! I would have not bought one and would have just waited for them to fix it. My question is will the Tablet be broken too? I love the iphone, what makes me mad is this is Apple and I would think they wouldn’t release something that cant multitask! wtf apple!

6. docdownunder says:

Interesting… after commenting on a likely “photoshoppery” – the author then reverse engineers what he would expect for specifications. Well done! Any 19-year-old “expert” at Verizon with a high school education could (and frequently does) do the same. How about less speculation for the sake of publishing, shall we?

7. james braselton says:

HI THERE I HAVE SEEN MORE ABOUT THE 64 GB SSD THEN THE HDD I ONLY SAW 1 ARCTICAL ABOUT 120 GB HDD AT 4,200 RPM THE SAME ONE XBOX 360 HAS THATS WHY GAMING TAKES FOREVER AND IT HAS ONLY 20 GB HDD SOO GIVE ME THE SSD

Stay tuned – on 1/27/2010, we should know much more about the iSlate.

9. James. Braselton says:

Hi. There. I. Hope. There. Is. 2. Versions. I. Will. Always. Take. A. Solid. State. Drive. Over. Hard. Drive. Any. Day. I. Have. 2. Hp. Netbooks. With. SSd. One. With. A. 16. Gb. Ssd. And. A. 32. Gb. Ssd. Plus. A. Comadore. 64. For. 64. Kb. Killibytes

10. azzadeep 15 says:

I am really excited for this because I was going to buy a netbook that I could take to school for my gcse but now I have seen this, I am definitely buying 1. What is this education version about and how will it be different.

11. kibula says:

what a fun

12. lanur says:

maderchod land par gaya tablet pc

13. visual says:

impresive

14. uglybetty says:

cool and good tablet pc. Wanna try!