Giant Button Cell Phone for Seniors (and Simpletons)

Whether you have bad eyesight, an aversion to technology, or are just an imbecile, have I got a cell phone for you!

giant button cell phone

This generic-brand mobile phone offers oversize numeric buttons (1-cm wide) that you can read from several feet away – making phone calls nearly fool-proof. The phone was mainly designed for seniors with limited tech savvy, but it’s fine if you’re just looking for a really simple cell phone too. Let me go on the record now by saying If I lose my ability to use the latest high-tech gadgets when I’m an old man, please just put me out of my misery.

senior phone sos

The 6380 Senior Mobile Phone ($75 USD) does actually have a few handy features, including a built in flashlight, and a giant “SOS” button on the back that can automatically dial a pre-set emergency number, and emit a loud warning alarm. It’s also got a minimal display with large on-screen fonts, and a whopping 128×60 screen resolution. Sign me up now!

senior phone side view

Actually, the 6380 does hide a couple of modern features under the hood, including a digital phone book, SMS messaging, a calendar, alarm clock, games (I can only imagine how much fun those are on that screen), and an FM radio. FM? I wanted an AM crystal radio set and a Victrola built-in.

Oh, and I forgot to mention one thing. The 6380 phone only works on GSM 900/1800 bands, so it works everywhere in the world except the U.S. and Canada. Oh well, I didn’t want one anyway.

1. james says:

so get over it then. it’s manufactured by the chinese. no self respecting us cellphone manufacturer (is there such a thing) would be seen dead servicing senior citizens anyhow – it’s not the american way.

2. Joe says:

I don’t know, seems like the actual screen text is prety small…. Senior Citizen fail?

3. TheGanjaGuru says:

Too bad it isn’t available in the United States. If it were I would most certainly be getting one of these for my grandparents.

One thing I have to say about this phone is that it looks simple, and simple is good. I am so sick and tired of cell phones that have a plethora of worthless features like touch screens, without any real processing or computing power to back it up. There really needs to be a movement toward simple, durable cell phones that don’t simply fail to meet expectations. Every phone I have had has barely lasted the two years till I’m eligible for a new one. Its not because I’m tough on my phones, its because they are designed to fail quickly. This is both extremely frustrating, and extremely wasteful.

TheGanjaGuru,

• lurker says:

Why the cell phones for elderly people looks like it were made before their owners have had his first birthday?
      Is it impossible make cell phones from good plastic quality with good 3-4″ display that can show BIG symbols and has the big buttons and the LOUD speakers?
      I’m really upset while looked cell phones for mom

4. STORM of London says:

A good idea not only for seniors but for anyone who is visually impaired. So this could even be for drunk people!
    But if it’s BIG NUMBERS you are seeking, check out the Camden or Faze watches by STORM!

5. Carlo Dimaandal says:

Very nice. But I think it should have a bigger screen.

Carlo

6. james says:

Seriously though, senior citizens and partially blind people have been using landline phones without any screen for some time now – it’s no biggie that they have a small screen on this model IMO although it would add value to have one big line display for confirmation.

7. Jess says:

WIN! I want one! I hate these fancy piece of shit cellphones everyone has nowadays. And a FLASHLIGHT! Finally a useful feature!

8. Carol says:

I want one for my parents

9. Danielle says:

So, is there anything comparable in the US? American way or not (@James), our seniors need a way to let us know when they’ve fallen and can’t get up.

10. Alex says:

Yes, there’s US alternative cell phone currently on the market at http://www.Just5.com
    Check it out! Looks like a very quality product.

11. Rebecca says:

I also recommend the Just5 phone for all the seniors out there. It’s very simple to use and presents several practical features like big buttons for easy reading and composing of texts, louder volume, speed dialing, excellent battery life,and emergency S.O.S. button.

My 56-year-old father owns one and he is really satisfied with it. I don’t doubt that anyway, I visited the company website and they are reputable. They got several awards already. You check it out here http://www.Just5.com.

12. ManOfTruth says:

Dude, you seem forgot the screen. A senior that needs 1cm large button size, should need a screen that prints 1cm alphanumerics too.

Epic fail. Redo the work again.

13. Senior Phone says:

Many people struggle with aging parents and staying in touch. Seniors have a hard time using a cell phone made for the masses. Snapfon offers a cell phone for seniors that is easy to use. It’s a big button cell phone with an emergency button, amplified sound and large easy to see text. I hope this senior phone makes caring for your elderly parents easier.

14. bad eye sight says:

For people who have to wear glasses and contact lenses, it is annoying that after wearing the glasses or contact lenses for a certain period, they find vision is not as clear as the beginning of wearing it, and they have to change for higher prescription glasses or contacts. And in this way, their poor eyesight is not improved, but actually deteriorating day by day. Do you know one century ago, only a very small portion of people have poor eyesight? But why nowadays 50 percentages of people have bad vision? Is it caused by genetic factor? Absolutely not.

15. Bill Thrilla says:

The best phone for seniors is Tracfone’s senior value phone. Less than $20 to but and only $20 for 3 months of service. How great is that. And you can get it at KMart. LOL!

16. Linda says:

I must agree with Bill Thrilla on this one. Got my grandma a TracFone SVC which has become a permanent fixture in her going out bag. If I were to give her the phone featured here, knowing my grandma, she would have been offended. I mean, check out the keys, they’re HUMONGOUS..she’d think we’re making fun of her old age. The keys on her SVC are big and lit but not obnoxiously big like this one. Although I do like the panic button feature which the SVC does not offer.

• Mark Time says:

It’s a very rudimentary device and not for everyone. But for those seeking a low-priced solution the investment is minimal and well worth considering.

If you’re looking for an iphone you’ll be disappointed but the price is so low and the phone is so simple, it’s probably the ideal solution for many seniors.

• Merril Rawder says:

This SVC phone is a trackphone, right? That means there’s no contract, no bill and etc. Considering that many seniors are on fixed incomes, the low price and no contract could be very appealing. Certainly worth considering.

• Marty Colon says:

Clearly, if you are looking to save money, this is a no-brainer. Tracfones are known for their low cost and great coverage and this is configured for seniors so the value here is obvious.

17. Bill Ziu says:

I recommend Aito 50+ mobile phone.it is for
    seniors,people with hearing or vision impairment, and for those who just want to text and talk.It is a nice basic handset, which includes features such as large keypad with a backlight, enhanced volume settings, an emergency call and a large font display.
    please check http://www.palmmobile.net/_d271000428.htm
    any interested ,please send a email to [email protected] to get more about it

18. MsMammaL says:

I need to get a cell phone for my mom really soon. She just moved to a not so safe part of town and she’s in her 70s. I want to make sure that she is ok and safe at all times. I heard about the Senior Value Cell phone and I am seriously considering buying it for her. Has anyone ever gotten one for their parents/grandparents that can tell me about the experience?

• BradS says:

My mom (I bought it for her) has been using one since about 6 months ago. They provide everything they claim – including the BIG screen font, large buttons and LOUD speaker. If these are the things you look for in a cell then the Senior Value Cell is worth checking out.

19. Lynn says:

Ms mamma l. you should really check out the svc that they are saying. This phone is really great. It’s basically a SamsungT155g and even my grandmother who is anti technology has come out liking it! The plan is only seven dollars a month and it’s just such a steal. The words senior value cell phone really sum it up. I suggest getting it for loved ones who are not as tech savy.

20. Ken Sims says:

Let me tell you something, you arogant shite. I challenge you to delete a stored number using the supplied manual. Its not possible so stick that where it hurts.

21. Cristyn Lieo says:

The best feature is “SOS” button and for that facility I would like to pay this much money for my granny and ordered it from http://www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/the-big-friendly-phone-by-fonerange.html