Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob in Your Mailbox! Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Youme Will Let You “Control” Real People in Real Time

by Lambert Varias

A company called DomsNetwork will launch a weird amalgam of servants and gaming with their Youme platform. Basically customers, the you, can send requests to a character, called a me. Yous can select mes based on “several demographic fields such as age, location, sex, height, weight” and so on. The request can be anything – talking to people, playing a game, going somewhere – as long as it doesn’t require you “to break the national laws of your country, or put you in danger.” The mes will be equipped with a bluetooth headset to receive instructions and a camera to stream footage to their yous. If you ask me, I wouldn’t want to be a me. I just don’t think this will work.

youme logo

Obviously if you want to be a you you’ll have to pay a fee, and as a me you’ll take a cut from that fee. But as I said, this concept has so many things going against it. For one, they’ll have to put a price on all requests, which, going by their definition, have infinite variations. Also, once you’re under contract as a me, what if you’re given a request that isn’t illegal or dangerous but is humiliating or painful (but not lethal, like say slapping one’s face 5 times)?

Would you want to be a you or a me? Will there be a we? Will there be us vs. them battles? Will there be hes, shes or its? Is this the best or the worst idea ever?

[via The Next Web]

There is just so much wrong with this concept. I think they should have called it YouSlave or SlaveBook. I sure hope they shoot video of all of the antics and put them up on their site for the world to see – that could make for some good schadenfreude for sure.

2. Dude says:

I think the company didn’t learn anything from watching the movie “gamer” except the concept.

3. Robert says:

I thought we abolished this sort of thing a 100 years ago. Next we’ll have a digital Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King. What’s with people and wanting to control other people all the time? This must have been invented by a woman or more specifically; my wife to make me do more house work.

4. Tron says:

Whoa, Seems like this company (DomsNetwork) really liked the movie “Gamer”

5. Bleepbloop says:

this is the worst idea i have ever seen.

6. Zoid says:

The rich & bored control the poor & desperate. Just plain exploitation / prostitution – the oldest games in the book. This is going to be a runner without a doubt, but it doesn’t take a crystal ball to see this will immediately degenerate into the usual fat old rich guys “ordering” cute girls to strip off.