Hp Designjet 3d Printer is Here, but We Still Can’T Afford It

When Hewlett-Packard promised to make 3D printers more affordable for the masses, I’m pretty sure they didn’t mean bums like you and me who just want to print 3D models of bacon, Patlabor and Olivia Munn (not necessarily in that order) will be able to get one. But yeah, HP’s Designjet 3D printers will be for sale starting this May, although for now they’ll only be sold in Europe.

HP-Designjet-3D-Color-Printer

The printer “turns three-dimensional CAD drawings into tangible prototypes by extruding partially molten ABS plastic in extremely fine layers one atop the other, forming the entire 3-D model in a single piece from the ground up.” The Designjet 3D can only print using ivory-colored plastic…

HP-Designjet-3D-Samples

…while the Designjet Color 3D can print using up to 8 different colors.

HP-Designjet-3D-Color-Samples

I hope in the future we can just download an image of anything we want and then print it in 3D. But that will probably result in the rise of collectible toy pirates.

HP says that retail prices for their 3D printers will start at €13,000 (approx. $17,500 USD). If that’s too rich for your blood, you could always just spend $1,000 on a Makerbot.

[via Popular Science via Geek]

FYI, you can already download objects you want to print in 3D here:
    Sorry, no Olivia Munn models though.

2. XpAcErX says:

this is cool and all but what are the uses other than 3d models

• lambert v. says:

I’m sure this isn’t possible right now, but I’d like to think that someday we’ll be able to download and then print actual working products and toys. :D

And come on man, be more enthusiastic about this!:D We can now print objects! If that’s not magical I don’t know what is. :D

• Wish_I_Had_One!!! says:

For home use there may not be much application but where industry and medicine are concerned the possibilities are endless . . .

I originally heard about this technology when it was being developed to make exact replicas of human skelatal parts.

If you are an automobile designer you could make scale replicas for aero-dynamic and feasibility testing prior to making life size models.

This also applies to aircraft. Imagine how much more efficiently you could make and design one of them.

Ever want a way improve on an OEM part that has proved to be a weakness in your product. As a manufacturer this allows you to proto a casting model with a minimum of cost. . .

These are just a few examples and I thought of least 20 more while I was sitting typing this but I think I made my point. Just let me get my hands on one of these!!!

3. photo laser printer says:

WOw its a strange printer for me currently i m using Canon’s MP490 and found it awesome ..but i love to hear the about this new info

4. Boonchai says: