IPhone 4 + Dslr Lens = Craziest Camera of the Day

The guys over at Hypebeast stumbled onto these images of an iPhone 4 paired up with the lens from a dSLR camera.

iphone 4 with dslr lens

While details are scarce, and some commenters think the rig is fake, I think it’s real, especially from the Manfrotto pocket tripod mount, which is a legitimate photographers accessory, featured previously here on Technabob.

iphone 4 with dslr lens 2

Now, I think the iPhone 4 captures pretty nice photos all on its own, but the idea of a manually adjustable lens could make for some much more professional and artistic photography than the iPhone’s tiny standard camera lens can muster on its own.

Do any of you guys with a background in optics think this could even work without distorting the images tremendously?

1. Hakan says:

lets take a toy and try to make something better of it… LOL I always wonder, what this hype because of iphones is. I had an iphone 3G for a month and I was very disappointed of it. Technologically it is crap and software lacks a lot of things which are standard for many years on other smartphones.

2. Daemos says:

I’m not too sure how adding a new lens will do anything to improve image quality. It still uses the same sensor, and from what I can see the stock lens of the iphone 4…then you are now adding on a zoom lens…what are you trying to do?

I vote it’ll most likely make things worse if it even changes anything at all.e

3. WadeF says:

Obviously they are trying to give the iPhone a telephoto lens to zoom in on things in the distance.

4. Chad Hedstrom says:

This would work well with say, a Macro or extreme wide-angle lens. Also an extreme telephoto lens, if for some reason your SLR body broke. Just tossing on a 35mm prime lens isn’t going to improve anything. Also you’d have to override any auto-light sensitivity to make use of the f/stop. There’s a chance that you could get some dark corners, but the lens to sensor size is so good that shouldn’t be any issue.

5. iPhone4wp says:

It’s not fake. At http://iphone4wp.com/ we added some ancient Zenith lenses to iPhone 4, but the pictures were disgusting.

6. Very cool. I want to try this on my iPhone 4 asap.

7. Anthony says:

@iPhone4wp

Perhaps you could provide a direct link to the pictures you refer too. I could not find them, and a search for Zenith showed no results. Without a direct link, I am inclined to believe that you posted this comment simply to drive page views of your site; which, if true, is disingenuous and disrespectful of us all.

If the content is there, you have my apology, as I would very much like to see them.

8. Bobbo says:

Looks legit to me. Not a dSLR lens tho – it is a manual lens

9. Ali V says:

What great idea people. Really neat. :)

10. Melissa T. says:

My friend suggested this idea a year ago. We never thought that someone already made it into reality. I hope Apple can make an iPhone lens so it will be treated as one legitimate camera. http://iphonescreenprotectorblog.com/

11. Lexx2gee says:

The IPhone 4 can take some pretty damn good pictures and with apps like tiltshift to help improve DOF limitations and the various filter apps to improve ambience it just gets better. Just check out instagram!

Also on topic I get my iphone lenses from photojojo

P

12. stateofjustin says:

This looks like the Manfrotto, a long canon lens secondary collar mount (which has a tripod foot). I’m trying to find out how they are holding the phone on the rig though. It looks like another iPhone 4 mounting kid I’ve seen, it might be that one mounted with an offset somehow. This would be a cheap and interesting experiment with older manual lenses at wide and macro as stated. I think I’m going to build it, I just ordered most of it, need to see if my Nikon collar will work. = )

13. GooseCanada says:

The Canada Goose Chilliwack Parka idea for the zip-inside-itself jacket, filled with thermal, recycled-material Prim aloft Eco inside, was born at that moment. Canada Goose Expedition Parka Other amenities to thank hikers, hunters and skiers for include hand warmer pockets including Canada Goose Expedition Mens Parka, Canada Goose Trillium Parka Canada Goose Womens Expedition Parka, Canada Goose Expedition Youth Parka sale here, cinched hoods with clear vision panels and thermal mapping to put warm and cooler spots where the body needs Canada Goose Yorkville Parka.

14. Mr. Mellow says:

The whole idea of a compact camera is the convenience of keeping it in your shirt pocket. Why, oh why, would you want to carry a bulky lens and stand around with you? Get a point-and-shoot with optical zoom, or an SLR.