Mac App Store Not Yet Released But Already Cracked?

The Mac App Store – Apple’s desktop version of the iOS App Store – won’t be open until January 6, 2011, but the infamous Hackulous community claims that they have already cracked the virtual store’s security. For those that are unfamiliar with Hackulous, the community is known for its Apptrackr and Installous software. The former indexes links to millions of cracked iOS apps, and the latter is an iOS app that is a pirate version of the App Store, giving users the option to either download a cracked copy of an app for free or purchase it from iTunes. This week, they revealed that they are preparing to do the same for the yet unreleased Mac App Store.

apple app store cracked

Hackulous calls their Mac App Store breaker “Kickback”. They won’t be kicking off the new year by releasing the software or launching another pirated store though. Hackulous decided that they’ll wait until the Mac App Store is as cluttered as its iOS counterpart.

Why? Because the main reason (or so they say) why the community started all this DRM-breaking business is that there are countless apps on the App Store but most of them have no trial or even a lite version. Apple’s archaic and too simple layout for the App Store doesn’t help people discover which apps really are worth it either. The idea is that iOS users who want to try an app that doesn’t have a free trial version can hit up Installlous and test drive the full app for free. For as long as they want.

Check out TorrentFreak for more of Hackulous’ cracking plans.

1. Dale O'Donnell says:

Don’t see the point in this, can’t you all wait till early Jan???

2. William Carr says:

This would be more credible if it wasn’t for the “Millions of iOS apps” quote.

As well as Apple has been doing lately, they haven’t gotten to “millions” quite yet.

• Lambert V. says:

Actually I wasn’t talking about millions of distinct apps, I’m talking about the millions of cracked apps that Apptrackr indexes. For example, not only will there be multiple pirated copies of Angry Birds, there will be copies of different versions of Angry Birds.

It’s similar to the fact that while there may only be two Iron Man movies, if you look in torrent sites there will be multiple copies being tracked, simply because multiple people upload the same files.

I hope that clears things up.

3. joe says:

I’ve published many iPhone apps, and have noticed that the people who use cracked versions of my apps never come around and buy anything. They never pay for a thing. They are simply thieves, a bit in denial.. but mostly pathological liars.

So the trial aspect is a pure BS excuse for building a business model around theft.

Those of you “journalists” who keep publishing this BS are part and parcel to being publicists for thieves. Why not do a real article… go find someone who liked a cracked app so much that they bought it. And, if you find such a person, show me the millions who follow in those footsteps. But, if you can’t do this, why don’t yo simply retire your worthless pen, and hang up your hat as a journalist / blogger / idiot.

Thx.

• Lambert V. says:

I can understand your frustration at having your apps stolen, but I don’t think that’s a reason to take things personally.

I never said, nor do I believe, that Hackulous’ noble ideal is followed by most of the people that use their software, hence my “for as long as they want” remark at the end of the article. I’m well aware that there are plenty of obvious reasons why this “free trial” thing is just another name for “piracy”. So I find it funny that you’re calling me an idiot when you didn’t read my article well enough.

Second, I don’t see how this piece of news is in favor of pirates or hackers alone. For one, this could just be grandstanding on the part of Hackulous, but at least this gives a warning to Apple to look at possible flaws in the Mac App Store, and hopefully help developers prevent their apps from being pirated, or at least prevent apps that are pirated from working. Also, like I said in the article, Apple really should take this as motivation to work on the interface of the App Store to make it easier for people to find apps.

I’m sorry about your situation as a developer, but that doesn’t give you a right to vent off on strangers.

• joe says:

Again, I’d love to see someone get out from behind their keyboard and investigate the world of cracks rather than act as a mirror for the crackers bogus claims.

Here’s a challenge; why do these criminals get to hide behind private .com addresses? Doesn’t your car have a license plate?.. in case you hurt someone? Why does the web industry protect the identities of the owners of hotfile dotcom? and anyone else who hides behind a “private” registration.

There are more pressing matters around this theme of cracking and hacking and selling stolen property…. where are the challenged writers who can expose why we are at this sad point in time where “theft” is what every 13 year old with an ipod is cutting his teeth on?

I find that the articles that just mirror the worn out statements of the people who fence stolen property are a bit lame and un-engaging. Also of little social value. They simply serve to inform the next crop of freeloaders to get ready to steal and redistribute.

Just because many people find themselves writing for a living, doesn’t mean that they are not actually in the extended PR business. Sorry, but this is often the case, and I’m sure you feel used at times.

Go out and do something that asks questions, and attempts to get answers. I really feel that writers have given a free PR pass to the crackers for some time now.

Taking things personally? I find it incredible that theft and rampant re-distribution is permissible at this stage of the game in our information based economy… and frankly nobody is writing about it.

If I put up a website and promptly stole every one of your articles and reposted with my own byline, I bet you would eventually be bothered by it.

My point is that the hackers rhetoric is always the same.. just BS talking points to justify a business model based around theft.

Thanks for your interest.

• Mike says:

honestly, stop being a coward joe…youve wasted so much time commenting on a blog?

Maybe your apps just suck and how do you know if people use a jailbroken app and then go buy it?

Please tell me how you are able to get this data, since that would be amazing.

Again, your a joke and get over yourself.

• joe says:

If we had a few more “old school” journalists on board in this internet age, he/she might be able to do something more informative. Ripping and reading press releases and pasting a few links doesn’t get beyond the PR aspects of stories. I’m talkin bout the real underlying story here. I’m simply suggesting great article possibilities, by pointing out a little ignored reality.

Do you ever buy something you’ve already effortlessly stolen? Of course not. If you believe that people do this, then go show me some… do an article on them, oh, and let me tell you I’m dating the tooth fairy, because she really exists.

Reposting crackers BS talking points is lame journalism. Giving links to torrrent information is advocacy journalism.

Mike, 98% of the apps out there suck and have no real lasting need to anyone or society… that justifies rampant theft? I think not. The crack community has naver taken their lame talking points further by showing the hordes of freeloaders who go on to actually pay for stolen stuff. It’s their talking point, it’s their burden to prove that the system they created actually sells apps. They haven’t done it, and journalists aren’t calling them on these unproven talking points.

So Mike, how many stolen items do you have on your jailbroken phone? and when was the last time you bought something that you already took at zero cost?

Mike, how about if hotfile dotcom stole something you made and then plastered blogs all over the world with promotional BS about how to download it for free? You think building an industry around that is OK?

Why does hotfile get to sit behind a private dotcom address? Why don’t the owners face the allegations first hand? Wow… now there’s a fantastic article, and any aspiring writer can see that. Why does our business system support a wild-wild-west internet environment? We support it so much that it finally bit governments asses, ala WikiLeaks – is it file sharing, or journalism???? Hmmm, another great article.

I’m just giving away some great ideas for free here.

Mike, I’m not the enemy, lame minds that don’t ask questions are the enemy. Don’t be intoxicated by your jailbroken ethics, I still have hope for people like you. Expand your mind…..