Atari ST2 Retro Computer Sings the Blues

I’m totally dating myself, but back in the day, I owned an Atari 520ST computer. Under the hood of this powerhouse of its time was the same processor you’d find in the more expensive early Macintosh computers, along with the unique ability to control musical instruments via MIDI, and advanced full color graphics. As a matter of fact, people used to call it the “Jackintosh” because of Atari’s then CEO Jack Tramiel, and his attempt to eat into the Mac’s budding market share. But the ST line came just as Atari’s heyday was over, and they never took off beyond the serious computer geek and music community. So I was jazzed when I stumbled onto this image when I was poking around on DeviantArt today.

atari st2 concept by svenart 1

According to the image, the 2011 Atari ST2 is supposed to come with a powerful Intel Core2 Quad CPU, 8GB RAM, Geforce 460 GPU, 1 TB hard drive, 7.1 surround sound, and a cool backlit blue keyboard. It even comes with a (misspelled) Blueray player, and bluetooth. This thing has the blues.

atari st2 concept by svenart 2

Unfortunately, so do I now that I realize the whole thing is just a concept design by 3D illustrator ~svenart, designed and rendered in Lightwave10 (wireframe here). But an awesome concept design it is. And given the fact that somebody has started selling Commodore 64′s again with modern PC innards, I don’t see why someone can’t run with this idea too.

atari st2 concept by svenart 3

For now, retro geeks will just have to sit there and drool until someone at least gets out an old Atari ST and mods it to match ~svenart’s design.

1. mat says:

This will be rather unpleasant when all the dust, hair and other grit falls down between the keys and is beautifully silhouetted in azure blue.

2. Olivier CHARVET says:

This guy forgot the 2 majors things on the atari keyboard:

HELP and UNDO direct keys. Easy for eveyone to find it. F1 and CTRL-Z nowadays are just crap ^^

• Lone Browncoat says:

WOW! Indeed!
      Yep, two keys missing, though I prefer the Mega STE/TT form factor over the 520/1040 and if I couldn’t have a Motorola in there, I’d prefer a AMD for their cool n’quiet and keep the processor down below 95 Watts, maybe the 65 watt triple core.

3. Robert Daviau says:

Damn that is beautiful! :lust:

My god if only. What would be perfect is a true and real modern implementation of the ST hardware fully compatible, fully maxed out
    with modern connections (SATA/USB 3.0 etc) with the entire ST library of games and apps available BUILT IN. This combined with THAT case design, hell I would buy that! Certainly better than the “new” Commodore machines that are nothing but PC’s with Commodore badge. Hey, you started the dream so I can add to it! ;)

4. Kola says:

Who the hell needs a new one? I still use my STFM to this day for music production :]

5. Ataristik says:

I love it! ATARI FOREVER! I wish one like this with cool black blue monitor. Amazing!!!! This is beatiful! Better than pc case.

6. Brookezzz says:

LOL already did this with my old Atari ST but with an AMD Phenom X4 and 12Gb of DDR2 1066 ram and a 1 TB HDD but no backlight :( keeps me working on it tho :)