Camera Lens Cap Holder Solves the “Where Did My Damn Lens Cap Go” Problem

When I first got my Nikon DSLR years back, I worried that I would drop the camera. After using it for a few months, it turned out that dropping the camera was far less likely than setting that stupid removable lens cap down and forgetting it. I would put it into my pocket typically, but sometimes it would still slip out.

My wife loses the lens cap every time she uses the camera, which is one of the reasons she is banned from using my gear. If you have issues keeping up with your lens cap and want something to keep the cap right on your neck strap this simple and ingenious device might be perfect. It simply called the Camera Lens Cap Holder and it is designed by Mark Stevenson.

There will be several models to fit the caps of all sorts of vintage and new, Nikon, Canon, and other cameras. All you need to do is thread your neck strap through the holder and then clip you lens cap onto it and no more losing the cap. Mark is seeking $3,900 in pledges over on Kickstarter to cover the costs for the molds for injecting plastic to form the lens cap holders. The project already has over $2,000 pledged right now and 14 days to go. Pledge at least $15, and you’ll get one for yourself.

1. Freddie says:

So can this holder be used for the variety of different lens caps we all use? For example; the cap sizes for my three most used lens are 58mm, 67mm & 72mm. Can the holder accommodate all these and others otherwise it defeats the object?

The whole point of the SLR is to be able to change lenses, so the cap holder must be able to take everything from say 49mm to 95mm or otherwise is just another gimmicky useless piece of tat!

• Marsha says:

ReadyCap holders are designed to hold both camera lens filters and camera lens caps, either separately or simultaneously, while they are not on the camera. The ReadyCap system allows users to use one base with individual adapters to accommodate up to15 different camera lens sizes! It attaches to various straps, belts, or bags and is made in USA of strong ABS plastic with metal threads for accurate engagement. If you are interested I’d love to send you one to get your thoughts!

• Richard says:

I ordered my readycap thanks to this thread. Thanks Marsha for the tip. I ordered a 58 and a 67 adapter… I used it this past weekend and I absolutely loved it. Changing sizes was a breeze – just screw on the appropriate adapter for your lens and your set. I also tried using it to carry my filter – such a great idea!

2. Louie says:

I think a pocket that attached to a strap or on the side of a backpack would be just as efficient and more flexible for different size.

• Marsha says:

ReadyCap holders are designed to hold both camera lens filters and camera lens caps, either separately or simultaneously, while they are not on the camera. The ReadyCap system allows users to use one base with individual adapters to accommodate up to15 different camera lens sizes. It attaches to various straps, belts, or bags and is made in USA of strong ABS plastic with metal threads for accurate engagement. If you are interested I’d love to send you one to get your thoughts! http://www.readycap.com

3. Andrew Denny says:

I wonder why people still think lens caps are essential. I’ve been shooting with SLRs for 43 years, and for 42 of those I’ve not bothered with lens caps.

Many of my best photos would never have been taking if I’d had to remove a cap first. I do always carry a lens cloth, but don’t often need it.

I’ve ruined two lenses by dropping the camera, but both times a lens cap wouldn’t have made any difference as I was in the middle of shooting and the cap would have been off anyway.

4. Andrew Denny says:

I forgot to add, what I *DO* want instead is a narrow leather camera strap – 1/2″ wide max. They’ve gone out of fashion but I find the default ‘fat’ straps too uncomfortable and unwieldy.

5. Aaron says:

Or you could buy a three dollar dangle which will attach the cap to the lens. If it gets in your way, slip it off and put it around your wrist.