Dot Watch Concept: Touch the Time

While I initially thought that this watch was basically a touch-enabled timepiece, it’s actually something different. Samuel Jerichow completely minimizes the essence of a watch down to three dots. Thanks to advances in tactile displays, this watch could be feasible.

072011 rg DotWatch 01

The Dot Watch is made out of a single, flexible strap covered in stretchable PVC. The main display uses three dots that press up against a flexible sheet to tell the time. The center dot is the middle of the watch. The dot closest to this one indicates the hours while the exterior one shows the minutes. As is the case with faceless analog watches, you’ll have to guesstimate the time, which is good in my book.

To be honest, using a sort of braille numeric dot display might be more useful.

[via Yanko Design]

1. Sam Jerichow says:

Hello Technabob! Thanks for re-posting my concept! I like your summary and your optimism towards feasability.

Best regards,
    Sam

• Paulo Al Assal says:

Wow!! What a beautiful design! Please let me know when it is ready for sale and where! I will definitely buy it!

• Sam Jerichow says:

I would be more than happy if this one gets made and tell everybody. Thank you for your comment, Paulo!

2. Range says:

Hi Sam, it’s a cool design to be sure, and although I don’t know enough about material sciences, whether this type of display surface is easily made with current tech, using some modified braille display boards is possible.

• Sam Jerichow says:

Hello Range!
      I saw a company using stretchable and durable material for interiors (I’m student of architecture, so I am interested in interior design). The braille board method sounds effective. Not sure if 12 hours and 60 minute dots are efficients though. Definitely worth thinking this through. Thanks alot for the input Range!

• Range says:

Hi Sam, you’d probably have to custom-make a circular braille board, and tinker with it so that you can have different sizes (bigger one for the hour, smaller one for the minutes), but it definitely has a lot of potential!

• Sam Jerichow says:

Cool, you see the potential. :) There is definitely some testing necessary. Starting with the “stretch radius” of the sheet.

Off-topic: how did you make, that your name is a link? Can I have that too?

3. Range says:

I write for the site, so that’s why there’s a link to the posts I’ve written for Technabob.