Speedlink Xeox Gamepad for the PS3: Yes, it’s for the PS3.

A lot of gamers swear by the great fit and button placement of the Xbox 360 controller, so it’s no surprise that a gaming peripheral manufacturer like Speedlink would sell a PC gamepad that looks a lot like the Microsoft console’s controller. What is quite surprising is Speedlink’s follow up: an Xbox 360-style controller for the PS3.

speedlink xeox wireless ps3 controller

Like its PC predecessor, this yet-to-be-released gamepad is called the Xeox. It’s matte black, has different icons (in different colors) and has a rapid fire button. But as you can clearly see, it not only mimics the Xbox 360 controller for practical reasons but for aesthetics as well. Viewed from arm’s length, the E on the Home button might as well be a B.

speedlink xeox wireless ps3 controller 2

Aside from that cheap gimmick, I think Speedlink’s on to something here. If a gamer prefers the Xbox 360 controller’s size, fit and layout, then by all means, let him enjoy PS3 games with it. Despite it looking like an Xbox fanboy’s gear at first glance, if this takes off it’ll only serve as further rebuttal to the pointless bickering between console loyalists. Not that that kind of drivel needs any sort of dignified response. There are good games on all systems, and if I had the resources I’d certainly own and play on all video game systems.

The Speedlink Xeox Wireless PS3 Gamepad will be available this October for about €34.99 (~$50 USD), although judging by video game economics this will probably debut Stateside at $35. Expect many a well-meaning loved one to buy this for the Xbox 360-owning gamer in their lives.

[via Glopipe, Vortez & PSUniverse via Reddit ]

1. Matt Russell says:

Good games on all systems, best gaming words spoken.
    Brilliant idea, but i would like a ps pad for my 360 lol.

2. Mark says:

Lawsuit in 3…2…1

3. Raptor007 says:

I’m going to buy a PS3 as soon as I can get this controller for it. :¬)

4. Phil says:

Is there any official announcement for this? I cant find it anywhere, and Speedlink doesnt anwser any mails. 9th october and still nowhere any info to find.

5. BK says:

I have also been searching the Internet and speedlink’s website for a release date for this, looks pretty perfect for someone who is more used to the 360 controller. Any more news?

By the way, in the meantime the rubber grips you can get for the ds3 help bulk the pad considerably, making it more comfortable in my opinion. The triggers and the caps that come with it are excellent too, would say the name of product but don’t want to be accused of spam, just check amazon ;)

6. Emvidasch says:

It’s december now and it’s not even on the Speedlink website. Probably due to copyright issues with Microsoft. I’m wondering if they kept the so called ‘dead zone’ that the 360 controllers have as somewhat their only disadvantage (and the d-pad isn’t too great either I’ve heard). I’m getting the Power A pro elite and also giving this one a try. My normal PS3 controller is just too small for my large hands. And I never played on an XBox so it’s strictly ergonomical wise that I’m buying it. I just hope they’re listening to the customer and use both the best of the PS3 ( small dead zone and good D-pad) and the 360 (triggers, reverse joysticks, etc.)

7. BK says:

I tried the power a pro elite for a bit, whilst the shape is nice and comfortable, I found the sensitivity of the buttons to be poor and the deadzones in the sticks considerable – as mentioned above, the rubber grips and triggers for the ds3 pad make it extremely comfortable and easy to use for xbox people, whilst retaining the excellent sensitivity of the ds3 sticks and buttons. My two cents :)

8. Courtenay-Leigh says:

Hey does anyone know where to buy this controller? I’ve looked everywhere, And the GamingZap.com link doesn’t exist anymore, Any other websites I could buy this from?
    Thanks