New Xbox 720 Console to Arrive in 2013?

Much like any news about the Playstation 4, this is rumor territory, but there are some murmurings that we might finally see the next-generation Xbox 720 console in 2013, and not next year during E3 2012. At this point, it’s possible we could still see it in 2012, but on the other hand you may have better odds of a Star Wars re-re-release without Lucas adding another menagerie of CGI creatures.

xbox 720 logo

Reports indicate that everyone from processor chip manufacturers to middleware firms have been actively working with Microsoft and they expect the new console to be unveiled at E3 2013. Many rumors about what gaming companies have been working on have also led to speculation that an Xbox 720 is in fact in development. For instance, Lionhead is supposedly working on a project named Fable NExt, which will launch on a new console and another rumor says that an EA studio already has rudimentary new Xbox console technology in-house. I guess time will tell.

Whether you call it Xbox 720, Xbox Next, Nextbox, or whatever, it will hit eventually and we will all buy one. Does anyone care to predict some launch dates?

[via Gamezone]

1. Johnny Walker says:

November 5, 2015.

2. aDinoSupremacist says:

This actually makes sense. The Xbox’s capabilities are being pushed to the limit with games like Crysis 2, Halo: Reach and Battlefield 3. When games are released for it, the graphics have to be toned down. With 3 new Halo titles (1 on the Xbox) confirmed, I’m sure a new xbox is coming VERY SOON.
    I’ve been thinking that they would announce it either next year or 2013, with a release date the following year.

3. Anon says:

I work in the games industry and never heard a bleep about it *shrugs*

4. Anon says:

There’s no way in hell they would have a release of a next gen console only 2 years away and it not be known industry wide, studios have to get the dev kits WELL in advance to get launch titles ready and that takes at least 1.5-2 years worth of work so yea..it aint happenin yet

5. Matt says:

I predict I will most likely not buy one. The Wii U is ramping up to be more inclusive for the hardcore crowd again (FINALLY) and will have a lot of games XBox will, including Arkham City. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will probably get it.

6. hatchetdragon13 says:

I’m looking forward to it. I hope they improve alot on everything!

7. jose says:

i dont care when it come out just add blue ray to the damn thing

8. me says:

They cant have Blue-ray because Blue-ray is a Sony technology, and Sony owns Playstation.

• Technabob says:

While Sony owns Blu-ray technology, they’ve licensed it to dozens of CE manufacturers, and I’m sure that if Microsoft wanted it, they could license it. That said, I think more and more companies are banking on streaming and downloaded content in place of physical media.

9. Jerry Gates says:

I just happen to be an executive at MS. I happen to know for fact that commercials/press releases will be in full force starting in July. Starter bundles will hit major retailers on Black Friday 2012. It’s going to be an epic holiday season for gaming! And YES it does have Blu-Ray. I’ve been testing one of the latest prototypes, and it’s groundbreaking! It’s taking the entire industry in a whole new direction. The information leaking begins NOW….get ready!!