3D-Printed Semi-Automatic Rifle Actually Works

I guess it was only a matter of time before 3D printers were able to replicate or start making some more, shall we say “handy” tools. Check out what amateur gunsmith HaveBlue was able to do with his own 3D printer! Yep, that’s an AR-15!

3d-printed rifle haveblue assembled

HaveBlue 3D-printed out the lower receiver portion of an rifle after assembling it onto a .223 upper portion. Apart from a few little problems, HaveBlue states that the rifle functions like a real one, and has actually fired over 200 rounds with it.

3d-printed rifle haveblue assembled

While the metal firing components and barrel of the gun weren’t 3D printed, it’s still impressive that a good chunk of this weapon was fabricated using 3D printing.

[via TNW via Ubergizmo]

1. Matt says:

It’s not an “assault rifle”. It’s an AR-15.

AR-15s are semi-automatic whereas assault rifles are fully automatic.

2. cody says:

an assault rifle is any one of a shoulder fired, gas operated weapon which has the capabilities of semi automatic AND burst or full automatic. since an AR-15 does not have the ability straight out of the box, it is simply an Autoloading rifle, or semi automatic. the AR stands for Armalite Rifle or ARmalite, depending on who you ask.

3. Barry says:

I could arm my office nerf gun army with this thing. Who sells cheap springs in bulk?

4. Range says:

My mistake, I mistook the rifle for an M-16 not an AR-15. Anyway, I’m sure that he’s currently working on making a selective fire/full auto rifle at the moment. His goal was to test the legal limits of 3D printing, and see if the plans would get censured.

• Have Blue says:

I’d love to be working on a select fire version, but I don’t have a type 7 FFL and SOT 2 required to do such a thing. Building a full auto rifle would be strictly illegal.

Also, my goal was not to test the legal limits of 3D printing – my goal was to prove that a 3D printed lower receiver could function just as well as an aluminum one, despite many people claiming that it would fail.

• Range says:

Hi, great to have your input.

I guess even if it wasn’t your goal to test the legal limit of 3D printing, this avenue of 3D-printing might test it, if it were further developed. Anyway, it’s a cool achievement.

5. HackTheGibson says:

Not even close! He printed to lower assembly only. There is a huge difference. That would be like added a new seat cover to your car and saying you made the entire automobile.

• Have Blue says:

It’s a case of legal definition – by the 1968 Gun Control Act, the receiver _is_ the firearm. I agree that all of the news stories have been sensationalized and misleading (imagine that!)

6. Gallery 31 says:

We just put together a show at Corcoran’s Gallery 31 in Washington DC that really relates to this topic. The exhibit’s titled “Manifest: Armed”, and a lot of the work deals with issues surrounding American gun culture. The artists involved are Sarah Frost, the collective SmithBeatty, and Julian Oliver.

Check it out if you’re interested! It runs August 8-September 2. http://www.corcoran.org/exhibitions/manifest-armed