Turtle Missing for 30 Years Found in Locked Storage Room – Alive!

When it comes to pets, most people stick with dogs and cats. Some folks out there want something a bit different like snakes or turtles. A family from Brazil had a pet turtle, but lost it many years ago. The people thought the turtle wandered out of the house when builders left the door open.

red_footed_tortoise_1

zoom in

Not the actual turtle found, but a reasonable facsimile

30 years later the family was back at the home cleaning it out after the death of a family member. When they got into a locked storage building inside the home, they discovered the missing turtle living inside a box.

“I put the box on the pavement for the rubbish men to collect, and a neighbor said, ‘you’re not throwing out the turtle as well are you?’ ” the younger Almeida told Brazil’s Globo website. “I looked and saw her. At that moment, I turned white, I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”

The turtle was found living in a cardboard box. Veterinarians say that red-footed tortoise such as this can live two to three years without eating. However, 30 years is a bit of a stretch. The vet thinks the turtle probably lived by drinking condensation and eating termites or other bugs.

[via MNN]

1. Grimald says:

That is a tortoise.

2. Rookgaroo says:

And the turtle looked up and said, “You again”?

3. Peopleareidiots says:

Who ever wrote this little article is an idiot. Do they not know the difference between are turtle and tortoise. Its more annoying because it even calls it a tortoise at the end of the article.Idiot.

4. KettleNazi says:

You mean “‘whoever’, not ‘whoever'”, not “whoever not whoever”; and you mean “‘it’s’, not ‘it’s'”, not “it’s not its”. Some people really display an intolerable lack of intelligence. If you’re going to troll a troll, please do it correctly.

• KettleNaziSlayer says:

Yes, some people do show an intolerable lack of intelligence. And some people show an intolerable excess of pride.(AKA being a dick) But thank you for solving our world problems by being “cute” and pointing out our communication errors. I know that no one could decipher what he was saying but you. You should be in books. I’m sure all of this will carry on into the rest of our lives, the lessons we learned from you today.

Now enough of the sarcasm. Seriously what does that comment accomplish besides being a dick? esp since it made no sense. Nothing was gained from it except that people who read these comments will now know you aren’t a very fun person. It’s only fun for you until you realize that you made more people sad and angry in your lifetime then you made smile. You are a negative in this world. And sure, I’m assuming an awful lot just from this one comment, but who trolls about grammar? Who likes a troll about grammar? The person you are on the internet should be the person you want to be in the real world. Grow up. Do some good in the world. Don’t waste your time picking apart sentences on random websites that hold no real educational value.

• greg says:

STFU and get over yourself. Grammar and spelling may not be important to you, as it is not to many. Many idiots who will end up in dead-end food service jobs.

5. sailingsoul says:

If it drank dew and eat termites or other bugs. Where did thirty years of poop go?

• tirounpato says:

That is a ridiculously good point.

• JVinnie says:

This guy is my hero. Post after post of name calling and grammar correcting (As if I should have expected anything more from a comments section on the internet), and this guy wants to know where the poop went. You, sir, are a critical thinker. I salute you.

6. kserrec says:

Take a biology class people (or more specifically a zoology or even herpetology class)! A tortoise is a type of turtle! I’m surprised people would comment about something as if they know better than the author without checking the facts first.

7. Arya says:

A tortoise is definitely NOT a type of turtle. They are completely different; turtles live in water and on land, while tortoises only live on land. They also have physical and genetic differences. However, they do both belong to the Testudine family.

• kserrec says:

You’re right that tortoises live on land and cannot swim. They are land turtles. If you don’t believe me, look it up yourself or ask a Zoologist or Herpetologist. I’m not just making this up. I learned this myself in my Zoology class and have read about it in Biology textbooks.

8. Da says:

You are
    All
    Friggin idiots
    You just got into a heated argument over a friggin turtle. Tortoise whatever. Point of story was. ITS ALIVE !!!!! Or did y’all miss that ?

9. Atevac says:

What an amazing story on survival regardless. Never getting bored after so many years *TK*

10. Zoologist says:

Think of it like this. A tortoise is a turtle, but a turtle is not necessarily a tortoise. In British English, the term turtle is typically used for sea-dwelling species, but in American English the term turtle covers all chelonians (land or sea). Being American and studying plenty of zoology, I consider this animal a turtle, but more specifically a tortoise since it is land-dwelling. If you don’t believe what I am saying, try using the Internet to do a bit of research! Now can’t we all just get along?

11. TimeVampyre says:

Good article, shame about the comments.

12. moretothestory says:

HOW THE FUCK DID THE NEIGHBOR KNOW.

13. johndoe says:

Living in the cardboard box, drinking condensation. What did the water condensate on?