This just in… It turns out the very first MAC computer was not released in 1984 by Apple. In fact, you can get your hands on a very rare candy apple red MAC made all the way back in 1980 if you’re the high bidder over on eBay.
Gotcha! This relic from 1980 wasn’t made by Apple at all. In fact the first MAC was made by a little company called Entex Electronics. Upon further inspection of the photos, it looks like this wasn’t just the first MAC, it was the first MAC Mini!
Check out the specs on this bad boy:
- Many pre-programmed sub-routines included
- Easy-to-read 16 LED display matrix
- 8-digit fluorescent numeric display
- Full 4-function calculator, with memory
- TMS 1600 N2LL Micro-processor
- TMS 1170 NLHL Micro-processorTMS 1024 NLL Input/Output Expander
- 6,000 Bytes of ROM
- 1,024 Bits of RAM
Did you hear that? 6 THOUSAND Bytes of ROM and over 1 THOUSAND Bits of RAM. Wow. Entex was truly ahead of their time. Even Apple wasn’t innovative enough to include an Organ/Piano/Off switch on their Macs.
Best of all, you can get your hands on this rare early MAC. It’s currently up for bid on eBay, with a starting price of just 99 cents! For some reason, I think the asking price just went up.