Pay attention Gears of War fans! It looks like we now know a bit more about what to expect from the next installment of Cliffy B.’s gaming masterwork.
Now we can’t say with 100% certainty that these rumors are true, but the guys over at GossipGamers tell us that an unnamed Russian gaming magazine leaked the following details about Gears of War 3:
- Epic states that Gears of War 3 will end Marcus Fenix’s trilogy, but the series will continue in the forms of spin-offs, prequels, and even a new genre supposedly.
- It takes place One and a half years after Gears of War 2 did. After the fall of Jacinto, the government and COG collapsed with it.
- Humans who survived the Hammer of Dawn offensive from Gears of war 2 have formed separate tribes to fight for survival. Anyone who did not has its remains in ash, (explaining the Ashes to Ashes trailer.) Locust are in a similar situation.
- Ravens Nest seems to be the name of the man-made island in the sea. It is capable of travel as well.
- The COG leader Prescott disappears, but he soon shows up at an airbase on Ravens Nest shown in the scans. Mag mentions that Marcus gives him the eye, but also something else: a recording from Adam Fenix, Marcus’ father, that tells him how to save Sera. Fun fact: Adam’s still alive.
- Cole and Baird now have their own storyline at some time in the game.
- Anya “turned into badass, let her hair loose, put on armor, and now fights alongside Marcus.” There will also be other female characters in the game this time around.
- Lambent are now the main enemy, and are also able to charge up to at least three Gears at a time whenever they’re close to dying and explode.
- New weapons include a grenade launcher that contain earth-drilling rounds, and a rifle that shoots single rounds. already announced was the double-barreled shotgun.
- In game difficulty will be lowered, with story and character development included, due to at least 60 percent of people not finishing the last game.
- Multiplayer environments will also change, and will constantly shift during a match, though this is not explained any further.
I guess we’ll have to wait and see if these rumors all hold up, but with the game not releasing until April, 2011, there’s a pretty good chance that things will change a bit between now and then. For now, sit back and enjoy the teaser trailer…