OLED Watch: My God, It’s Full of Stars

I see so many modern watch designs cross my desk, and while I think lots of them are really cool, it’s rare that I see one that I just must have for myself. This is one of those times. This gorgeous watch uses a bright OLED screen to display a field of “stars” when it’s not telling the time.

dandelion starry

But give the watch a shake or tap on its screen, and the dots scatter around the surface to display the time.

lv zhongfang tiwe watch

Chinese Industrial designer Lv Zhogfang’s TIWE watch is just at the concept stage, but I’m really hoping he manages to get these produced. I’ll be the first in line.

[via MoCo Loco]

1. GeekAlerts says:

I totally agree with you, it looks great!

2. RP says:

I’d pay money for that..

3. I want one! Not too keen on the looks of it, but the function is pretty damn cool :D

4. Paula says:

Oh wow! I can’t wait for all these gadgets to go mainstream… or maybe I’ll just secretly enjoy future items with all of you. :)

5. katha says:

This is great, I want one!

6. Oh no, not another watch!

7. nori says:

A dysfunctional trend.

Watch is supposed to give you a precise reading of time “on demand.” Why do I have to shake it in order to read a precise time?

Try counting seconds without the watch going into the screen saver mode. Haha!

I will give a credit for the sake of design, but as for the functional design; this watch is just lame. Why?

This watch does not consider functional design.

8. ravenius says:

When the Stars Are Right…

9. Dru says:

You should consider posting a video sample

Sorry, I don’t have a video sample, but if you click to the artists website (in the article), he has a Flash animation that sorta shows how it would work.

11. Matt says:

where do I get one?

seriously.

12. CadeRageous says:

Wow, I’m a time-piece fanatic–this makes me very excited. I truly hope it gets made.

Cade

13. Moom says:

I find it really amazing that not one single company had the idea yet to make a skinnable OLED watch. By Skinnable, I mean that you could change the face of your watch according to your mood…
    I had a clock application on my old Palm Tungsten for which I could skin the clock – and always wished I had a wristwatch just able to do the same.

14. Comments says:

It’s stylish and cool. I’d wear one.

15. Greg says:

That is just awsome! Great idea!
    Nori: if you made everything based on functional design, you’d live in a really ugly world.

16. Big Daddy says:

That is one of the coolest things I’ve seen this month… maybe this year. I love it and would pay for it. Its a great idea, the guy must be a genius.

Greg: I agree with you on your comment to Nori

Nori: Not everything in the world is perfect, you get what you like and if it doesn’t work get something new. Plus.. the watch doesn’t have a seconds hand.. if you wanted to count seconds they came up with another dysfunctionaltrend device called a stopwatch :)

17. Nori says:

Ok, maybe I’m asking too much, and I apologize for such use of strong words in the previous post. All I’m saying is that with this kind of OLED and processing power, why not take extra steps to make it customizable and have more features like digital readout, stop watch, calendar, …etc

I understand that design is subjective. Though, I still believe every great designs should definitely consider functionality.

18. Justin says:

OMG, please hurry with the production, i can’t live without this watch

19. 27 says:

I want it! Can u tell me how can i get it???
    I really-really one it!
    Cool!

20. 27 says:

Does it sold in Indonesia??
    I want it. Hountoni!