Play Any NES Game for Free in Firefox With Firenes

FireNes is a little Firefox widget that allows you to instantaneously play any NES game in your browser. It’s free and it’s incredibly easy to install and use and it’s probably going to ruin my life because I can’t stop playing with it. It requires only a one-time, 5-second download to have a sidebar chock full o’ NES goodness.

smb3 thumb

The FireNes site is in Spanish; here is a not-too-terrific English translation. All you need to know is this: go to FireNes, click on “Install” (“Instalar” if you’re on the Spanish page and are feeling fancy), then relaunch Firefox. Go to the Tools menu and click on FireNes. It will pull up a menu of any game. Right click on the game to edit options and learn which keys to use.

firenes2

You’re lucky I even wrote this post considering I’ve spent the last 3 hours “researching” the subject matter. And by “researching” of course I mean re-mastering Q-Bert and amassing coins in Mario-land- because they have a bunch of retro games on there in addition to the NES favorites.

[via ajb{log}]

1. joseph rodriguez says:

i cant wait to play old skool mario

2. Tanya says:

I have a USB NES controller, and I’d like to use it so I can play these games without having to use the keyboard. Any ideas on how to make that work?

Do you have something like this?

I’m not sure that it’ll do what you need, but it might map a traditional NES controller to keys on the keyboard. (and it needs an original NES controller, not a USB one).

4. Tanya says:

No the one I have is an actual NES controller with a USB port on it so it can plug right into the computer. Only problem is, I have no clue what it’s compatible with. Doesn’t seem to work with FireNES, as I can’t switch the options from keyboard to USB port.

Is it one of these controllers?

If it is, you might want to reach out to the guys over at Phreque:

and they might have a suggestion.

6. sj says:

uh try to configure the settings on firenes to change keys, idk if you can remap keys for it but if you can it should work

7. Tanya says:

Yeah it’s the top one on the link you sent. I’ll try to see if anyone at Phreque can help. I hope so!!

8. josh says:

please let me know if you find out a way to use the controller with firefox nes!!!!

9. Tanya says:

I haven’t been able to yet. Phreque wasn’t able to help much.

10. Nothing says:

You can use a USB controller, you need a freeware program called JoyToKey, which is a keyboard emulator for controllers. Find and download JoyToKey, configure it with your controller for the keys on the keyboard FireNES needs, and enjoy!

11. LakotaJames says:

If you are on windows, use Joy2Key. I have yet to find a good one for linux… if anyone else does, tell me. here is my email: lakota [DOT] james [AT] gmail [DOT] com

12. I want to play finalfantasy says:

Downloaded firenes a couple weeks ago and I love it but unfortunatly the way its set up makes playing games like final fantasy all but impossible. Currently you can’t save your progress, has anyone heard of a possible update that might fix this problem?

13. Namagem says:

Unfortunately, the emulation is horribly lag infested. It’s nice to have an emulator built into firefox, but I’ll wait until they can do it full speed.

14. josh says:

im on a mac :(

i wish i could just plug in a usb controller and use it that simple!

15. brian says:

Is there simply just a way to remap the controls, at least, for the keyboard? I’d love to have the D-pad on the left and the B,A buttons on the right.

My brain won’t let me play it reversed.

16. nathan kay says:

My keyboard controls don’t work for the games. When I right click on the game title and then go to options, I can’t change the controls. What can I do??

17. Matthew Corgan says:

I think over time it’s becoming harder to play nes games online. I can’t play games at http://originalnintendo.net anymore. Even Nes cafe and Virtual Nes have their games up and down. Safest bet is Nintendo Wii Shop or just hooking up the Nes console itself. I know that sounds oldschool.

18. macuser says:

Anyone know how to use a USB NES controller with a mac? I am having trouble finding a key mapping program for mac that actually works–the Gamepad Companion doesn’t seem to work with the NES controller. Help! I just spent $25 on this controller and I can’t play any games!! Thanks

19. Ovidiu says:

hey…thank you a lot for what have you done for us…especialy for me…those .nes games reminds me so much of my childhood…

20. Guy says:

HELp it wont let me play games please help i double click it and it doesnt play just a blank screen

21. theaxedude says:

Use GLOVEPIE to map joypads to emulate keyboards.