Windows 7 Runs on a Pentium 2 [How Low Can You Go?]

Some expert computer technician crazy person has managed to get Windows 7 to run on a ridiculously underpowered Pentium II PC. Why? I say, why not?

windows_7_ultimate_pentium_2

Amazingly enough, PC enthusiast Hackerman1 got his old 266 MHz Pentium II machine loaded up with Windows 7 Ultimate. The machine has a paltry 96MB of RAM, and a lowly 4MB graphic card, and it still managed to work. He tried dialing it down all the way to 64MB, but eventually ran out of memory. Sure, the Windows Experience Index is only 1.0 on this system, but isn’t that what you’ve come to expect from Windows anyhow?  At least with Windows 98 and Vista, that was the consensus.

Next up, Hackerman1 plans on dusting off his old 166MHz Pentium I machine and seeing if he can make the Windows 7 OS work on that one. However, I’m not easily impressed, so until he gets it running on an old IBM PCJr, I won’t be truly in awe.

[The Windows Club via Maximum PC]

1. Jim says:

Watch Windows 7 Ultimate Release Candidate on a Netbook with 1 Gig. RAM at http://jamesmsingleton.com

2. Schumi says:

Fake!

3. Evet says:

Install Win7 took 18 hours on 333mhz 128mb P3 pc. And first reboot took 17 mins.

Win7 can run on 266ghz + 96mb pc. But on 64mb pc, i got “memory error”

4. Calcman says:

running windows 7 on a calculator. boot time is 2.75 weeks, internet doesn’t work

5. Alex says:

LOL at the computer name :D

6. jeffster says:

I have windows 7 on a dead badger. Boots in about 5 yrs, 3 months, 2 days, and weak wifi signal.

7. Ugur Akgoz says:

very interesting topic, because not everybody has a power PC.

8. hahaha says:

hello my name is Ma Zhen i’m from China
    the win7 run to the 64m RAM computer is fake

9. Jérôme says:

Using VMWARE Workstation, I installed W7 with 1 GB of RAM, and tried booting using several parameters

If it works (quite) well with 192 MB, it is veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slowwwwwwwww using 152 MB of RAM ;>))

10. The crazy cat lady says:

Running Windows 7 Ultimate on a ham and cheese sandwich. It takes 5 weeks to boot. Add some ketchup and mayo.. it takes 3.5 weeks boot up. Only gets 10mb ethernet connection.

11. KN0W0NE says:

Very good Hackerman. How many processes are running when the machine is booted up and logged on? I do this sort of thing all of the time and look at it as quite unremarkable. how about you? not remarkable right? Just something that must be done.

12. Coolz says:

Oh man… everyone can do that image with Paint.
    I can make it 1Mhz processor :) Come on.

13. Billy Lloyd says:

I’m pretty much impressed with the stability of Windows 7. It is better than windows Vista which hogs my memory and cpu..”-

14. Sonji-kun says:

Yep, worked on Celeron 430MHZ cpu with 512MB of RAM. Windows 7 rocks!

15. sind says:

We use 20 Fujitsu ErgoPro e, powered by intel pentium MMX,
    32mb RAM ,some with 64Mb of RAM, win 98 second edition, and I’m trying to upgrade them as much as possible!mostly for the use of the internet.
    Is it possible to run ,say win mobile 5.0 on the machine, is it faster than win 98?, I only need it for internet apps.
    When upgraded to interbet explorer6, it worked ssslow on 32mb RAM units, nice enough on 48mb , good on 64mb RAM
    Please help!
    Shall I install Linux, and if so how do I do it , counting the fact that the units are not equiped with CD ROM.
    Our computer network, has also 1 Fujitsu Siemens amilo 20Gb hard , 768Mb RAM, Win XP home , and 1 Acer Aspire 4315 80Gb Hard disc, 1Gb RAM, Win XP profesional, bought with intel celeron, is there anyway I can use the laptop to upgrade the 20 monster-desks ?