This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.

I agree
Learn More
Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob Daily: Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Coil Lamp Uses Extension Cord for Power and Looks

by Paul Strauss

It’s extremely rare – if not unheard of – for me to write two posts about the same person in a row. However, while I was researching designer Craigton Berman‘s totally awesome LEGO remote control concept, I came across this lamp over on his website and just had to mention it.

Berman’s Coil Lamp is one of those “why didn’t I ever think of that” designs. It’s so simple and elegant in concept, but striking at the same time. You see, the Coil Lamp is simply a table lamp made from a 100-foot orange extension cord, wrapped around an acrylic frame.

When fully-assembled, the Coil Lamp is a striking addition to any room, but when you look at the raw elements of the lamp, you’ll be scratching your head saying “that’s all there is?” This is truly a case where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts.

You can order the Coil Lamp over at Craighton Berman’s website. The D.I.Y. version (B.Y.O. extension cord) retails for $75 (USD), while a hand-coiled edition, signed and numbered by the artist sells for $150 bucks.

Nice touch there with the coiled CFL lightbulb there!

Comments are closed for posts older than 90 days.

1. Youjustlostthegame says:

You could even change the light color by using a different power cord.
    Wonder how much shipping costs because those cords are heavy!

2. Craighton Berman says:

Thanks for the post Technabob. @Youjustlostthegame: The DIY version ships flat packed; you supply the cord– and save on shipping & assembly. Win Win.

3. Peter says:

One of the first things I learnt as a electrical trades assistant is not to use coiled/tangled extension leads. I never found out why though.

• technabob says:

I think it has something to do with the potential to generate heat. But with those thick outdoor heavy duty cords, I think you’re just fine.

• Craighton Berman says:

I’ve had this lamp running for 3 months straight, and it never heated beyond a minimal level that would be expected for a CFL bulb.

4. Lanceamatic says:

Someone should introduce the concept of ‘induction’ to the designer of this thing.

granted, at the levels the bulb is drawing, the heat produced is probably very low, but it just seems like a bad idea.

Our Latest & Greatest Posts...

R2-D2 Gets Pumped up: Swole2-D2