Bento Book Laptop + Tablet + Smartphone = Modular Transformer Computer

While this scenario has been explored before, it’s the first time that I’ve seen something that might actually work well. The laptop becomes a dock for your smartphone and your tablet, allowing you to seamlessly use different devices without having to sync them. The Bento Book concept goes even further. Without the mobile devices, it’s just a dock. It actually needs the mobile devices to actually become a laptop.

050611 rg BentoBook 01

The design looks futuristic, but the overall specs are within the realm of possibility. Designed by RenĂ© Woo-Ram Lee, the main laptop has got a 15-inch OLED screen. An 11-inch tablet sits where the keyboard should be. A 4-inch smartphone sits where the trackpad should be. This is all possible, though I don’t know how easy it will be to use the tablet as a keyboard. In my experience, I prefer a tactile response, just like many other touch-typists.

050611 rg BentoBook 02

But that doesn’t stop this concept from being compelling. Only time will tell if we’ll see something like this. My guess is no, especially not for Apple devices.

050611 rg BentoBook 03

In fact, the concept design has some Fujitsu branding, which is normal since it was created for a Fujitsu design award.

050611 rg BentoBook 04

[via Yanko Design]

1. romario says:

I want one.
    How do i get one?
    Can i win one.

2. dash82 says:

yes i would drop 2000 for this easy!!!

3. Kooldoode says:

haha it would be awsome if the pad and pod/phone where included.

4. awesomeesst says:

this would be a very good product i would probley pay in a price range of about 500 to 1000 bucks for it and mabey 1500 but thats a maybe. do not under any sarcumstance sell this amazing idea to apple for since steve jobs has left they have been sucking. i would recommand selling it to google aka android or any place that would run android at full compasity. i see very much head strong ideas in the tablet deapartment right now. this would take the tablet world to a whole different world of possibilities. it should deffently be able to run flash and java likethe kindle fire (realesed nov. 15 2011)which i am very plesed with mine and i only had to pay 200 bucks. so all in all very good idea but if it remains an idea for to long it will be opsilete in the ever changing world of technolgy.

5. will says:

definitely want this, however it probably wont come on sale for a bit, if ever. It looks to me like it is running a modified version of ubuntu natty, rather than andriod, which I like. I cannot, however, see this device selling for anything less than 2000 USD; keep in mind that this is not just a tablet, but is a tablet, phone, and person computer all wrapped up into one big, happy nerdgasm

6. farhad says:

WOW, really amazing. is it been ever manufactured? how can i buy one?

7. RipleyBongwright says:

@ Kooldoodle – what would you be paying for otherwise? the gadgets have to fit perfectly into the laptop part, which is a paperweight without them.

@ awesomeesst – do you not have spell check man?

8. COOLHAHA:) says:

Looks like something Apple should make :) haha

9. Xcym says:

I would definitively buy this if it comes out for sale! totally worth any price tag!

10. Gavin Owen says:

How do you buy this thing

11. Fun says:

Sounds good, but i think it may be some what distracting, i think having a moving screen as a keyboard and as touchbad may reduce concentration on a specific thing.
    But it has an advantage of improving the tasks, and increasing the perception of the user.

12. Serious says:

I wouldn’t care this thing would cost 2000$ it looks totally awesome and it’s everything in one…
    It would be very nice if this thing really came on the market, i would put a sleeping place right in front of the store to get one haha. (no joke )

13. Rehan says:

I love the idea of intergration of our daily use touch screen cell & tablet becoming a full time notebook. Data sharing & backup could be possible by just one click.
    All in all, this is an excellent idea & if produced, I would certainly get one for myself.

14. Alex[RUS] says:

Shut up and take my money!!!
    This is great device, and I really hope that one day I’ll buy it))