Eyeborg: Canadian Filmmaker Installs a Red LED Into His Prosthetic Eye

Filmmaker Rob Spence lost his eye when he was 11 years old. He was playing with a shotgun back in his grandfather’s farm in Ireland when it backfired. Now he and his partners in the Eyeborg Project want to “transform his loss into a superhuman strength” for art’s sake. Spence wants to install a video camera into a prosthetic eye so he could “explore privacy and surveillance issues.”

eyeborg

Whatever his cause, Spence and his partners sure know how to gain mad publicity. By installing a red LED into his prosthetic eye, they not only proved that installing an electronic device and its power source into such a small space is feasible, now Spence also looks like one of the Borg, or a Terminator. He says that “this is every adult male’s fantasy.” To which I would have to say “Ummm…no.” But he really does look awesome.

The Canadian’s quest for a camera-eye has been widely publicized; however, the Eyeborg Project really don’t have much to show save for a prototype housing for the camera. This video from the Eyeborg Project introduces us to the people behind the team. It’s actually pretty crazy and funny; but of course we should expect nothing less from a guy who decides to pop in an LED into his eye socket.

Although personally I’m okay with my plain old unenhanced eyes, I really hope the project succeeds. You never know, someday blind people may have the option to install tiny video cameras into their bodies and have it wired to their brains so they can “see”. For more details – including an Ashton Kutcher tweet – check out the Eyeborg Project’s website and their blog.

[via ABC News]

1. gatin says:

that’s pretty cool, save for the “every adult male’s fantasy”..hehe

really like your finishin blind people will be able to “see” thingy..nice.

2. Callisto says:

You know, somewhere there’s a smartass making one of these with a strobe light effect.

I really like that idea of the video cameras for the blind.

3. Herbert says:

I really hope this works, it’d be great to introduce this technology to the world. A huge step for the human collective, I daresay.

4. Jan says:

Hehe..installing a power laser-pointer aka burning laser in one eye would be even sicker :-)))

5. samualgregory says:

if this works it wont only lead to the blind seeing but it will open a whole new realm of technology making cellphones i-pods even modern computers obsolete… because if they find a way to connect technology to the brain then ears will soon follow and eventually all senses will be virtually enhanced or altered… we would all become cyborgs lmao and eventually our minds might be able to connect directly to the internet or something similar and we can get any information any time we need it

6. Travis says:

my right eye is an acrylic prothetic as well… I want in on this!!! :)

7. ALYaR robotic says:

We can do something more interesting.

8. KuRRDoGG says:

I would like to have one with an LED light and a key fob to turn it on and off. I lost my sight in my left eye in 1988, but didn’t get a prosthetic until 2007. I have one that has the primer end of a .45 ACP brass in it but was scratched up in to making process. The LED is awesome, but I can’t find anyone to make me one.