Console X-Rays: How to Get Inside Your Video Game System Without Voiding the Warranty

If you’re a tinkerer like me, you’ve probably cracked the case open on at least a few of your electronic gadgets to see what they look like on the inside. But I bet you’ve never seen the guts of your video game console quite like this.

xbox 360 x ray

It’s pretty obvious that’s an Xbox 360, but see if you can identify them all:

gamecube xray

I’ll give you a clue. Look at the faint curved handle at the top. Yep, that’s a Gamecube.

snes xray

Hmm, is that an NES or an SNES controller? You’ve got 2 seconds…

nes xray

It amazes me how absolute empty the Atari 2600 case was compared to today’s consoles. Imagine how much better the graphics would have been if they’d actually filled the box with circuitry.

2600 xray

Contrast that to the jam-packed Sony PS3. There’s definitely not much room to wiggle inside that case:

sony ps3 xray

This one is pretty self-evident. But is it a DS Lite, DS Phat or a DSi? And where are the cracked plastic hinges? Oh, they’re on my DS Lite.

ds lite xray

I’m assuming that the guy who took these photos works as a radiologist, or maybe in airport security. Or maybe he’s just got X-ray vision and cameras implanted in his eyeballs. Yeah, I like that idea best.

n64 xray

I’ll leave the rest of the images up to you to figure out.

wii xray

I’ll give you a hint. This is NOT a transistor radio or an 8-track player – or is it?

nes console xray

All I know is that this guy definitely isn’t a SEGA fan.

wii nunchuck xray

You can check out the complete X-Ray fun gallery over on Reintji’s Flickr album.

[via Acid Mods]

1. Thief says:

Wow that’s awesome. I can’t figure out what the 2nd last one is above the nunchuk.

2. mojo says:

Its an nes

3. aTm says:

ahh the ps2 third up lol how many times i’ve seen that thing apart is disgusting.

4. coolboy says:

@aTm

umm…i’m pretty sure that is a Wii. (note the slanted lower right hand corner, and where the optical drive is)

5. Matt says:

Yes, third up is a Wii. If you can’t figure one out, right-click, go to properties and read the file name.

6. Broo says:

yea- the 3rd from the bottom is a Wii; the PS2 only has 2 game ports and they are a little wider than the GC port on top of the wii.

The 2nd from the bottom is a good ‘ole classic NES; I have one sitting right under my TV for comparison… :o)

The way the cables are lit up is wierd; were these plugged in with voltage running through them when the ‘shots’ were taken?

7. Bolennart says:

the cables are made of metal and metals are rather dense. It’s the whole point with a x-ray, the denser material the brighter end image. That’s why the bones are brighter than the surrounding tissue.

8. Qwertilliopasd says:

I like how you can see the interior traces in the shift register on the NES controller.