PS3 Slim Price, Release Date, Pics and Specs Announced by Sony

Sony has just officially announced the upcoming release of their new PlayStation 3 (PS3) Slim console during their press conference at GamesCom 2009.

ps3 photo

The new PS3 Slim console sports a compact new form-factor, and a lower price to go with it. Priced at $299.99 (USD), €299, and ¥29,980, the PS3 Slim is $100 bucks cheaper than the previous model.

sony ps3 pics

The PS3 Slim will ship with a spacious 120GB hard drive, and is 32% smaller than the previous models. As an added bonus, it consumes 34% less power too. And while the box shot below was leaked a long time ago, it looks like it was the real deal:

ps3 slim box shot

I’m none to thrilled with the cheaper looking case design, but if that’s what it takes to get the size and price down to size, I suppose it’s worth it. And I won’t miss the fingerprints.

ps3 slim front

ps3 slim back

ps3 slim side

ps3 slim top

In addition, Sony also announced the impending release of the their new v3.0 firmware for all PlayStation 3 models. Here’s a sneak preview of what’s new in the 3.0 firmware for those of you who care:

No word yet on a release date for the v3.0 firmware, but Sony says that it should be released “soon”.

You can now pre-order the PS3 Slim over on Amazon for $299.99 (USD).

[image credits: PlayStation Blog and GameSpot]

1. JimMoz says:

Ahh finally the PS3 Slim. After checking out my friends gigantic PS3 I decided to hold off and get the Slim. I figured they would release it eventually. Woot!

2. RosenRed says:

This also means that prices will drop for the older brother :) Not bad, not bad at all ;)

3. Black ICE says:

I read in a german tech news website that the new firmware will not allow anymore installation of alternative OS. Is this true?

I am using Linux on my PS3 as well and this would be very bad.

• technabob says:

Dunno. I can’t find any official details on the subject, but I’d bet that the alternative OS thing isn’t a priority for Sony. Sony has a tendency to eliminate less popular functionality as they downsize hardware and reduce costs (remember how the original PS3 had the actual PS2 hardware in it, then the 2nd gen replaced that with a software emulator?) I’ll check around and see if I can find anything out.

• Black ICE says:

I have one of the first PS3 so I can still play all my PS2 titles on it :)

Just for reference, here it says, that they remove the alternative ÖS thing:

• technabob says:

If it’s the 3.0 OS that breaks alternative OS installs (as mentioned in that post), I’m afraid that means this will affect ALL PS3s once that update hits.

(and I also still have the original PS3 60GB too, and the hardware PS2/PSOne gameplay is much better than the software emulator.)