Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob Daily: Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Fake Window Sheds Light on Your Cubicle

by Paul Strauss

For those of us working in offices with no exterior windows, we’re always looking for ways to bring a little light into our lives. You could grab one of those outdoor scene rotators I showed you the other day, but if you’d like something a little more subtle, check this out.

EL Window Shade by Makoto Hirhara for Mongoose

The Bright Blind comes from the minds of designers Makoto Hirahara and Hisakazu Nabeshima (for Japanese design collective Studio Mongoose). It’s a window shade that hangs on your wall and is backlit by electroluminescent sheets to provide simulated daylight in even the darkest of offices. Just like a real window shade, brightness is adjusted by twirling the plastic shade control.

YouTube Preview Image

The shade is currently just a hand-built prototype, so I’m hoping they decide to produce these for purchase soon. Head on over to the GNR8 Pipeline site for more information (and a ton of other cool design concepts).

[via CribCandy via Coolest-Gadgets]

Comments are closed for posts older than 90 days.

1. Peter Crouch says:

Awesome! If it was for sale I would definitely buy one

2. giles says:

Let me know when it’s real – I’ll buy a couple for my new house which cannot have windows fitted to the sides…

Awesome concept

email me : giles AT hotmail DAWT c om

3. giles says:

gileswendesAT ho tmail DAWT co m

sorry

4. Carole says:

Tell me when and where these windows can be purchased and I’d immediately get two.
    RSVP!
    Carole

I may even advertise for them in my magazine

5. Cleidson says:

Hello! I watched this video about the fake window sheds light , and i would like more informations. I live in Brazil and i wanna know how much it costs and how can i get it?! Thanks!

6. Randy Josh says:

Should be possible to build one of these. Is there a supplier in NA that sells electroluminiecent sheets large enough for such an application? I’m thinking 2 foot x 3 foot would be the smallest you’d want for a fake window.

7. Paige says:

I LOVE IT!!!!! I need one now. It is exactly what I am looking for.

8. bathroombuzz says:

no more dark room again…

9. Travis says:

Where can we buy this? This is a great idea.

10. Toby says:

Electroluminescent sheets seems expensive. I’m going to build a couple using LEDs and an opaque sheet of plastic.

11. Burt says:

There is a great product I picked up called a WindowSane its found at http://www.WindowSane.com it really makes it feel like your looking out a window. This one would work grat if I worked in the dark – but in a well lit office – this won’t do.

Our Latest & Greatest Posts...

Breaking Bad Mr. Potato Head: Friesenberg