Cassette Tape Lamps Look Great, Sound Awful

The cassette tape is probably just a fuzzy memory for those of you who grew up with Compact Discs and MP3s. But for us born before the 1980s, we have to figure out what to do with all of those old tapes. Why not turn them into a lighting fixture?

cassette tape lamp

That’s exactly what the guys over at Transparent House are doing with their cassettes. The designers make each lamp from dozens of individual cassette tapes, arranged into visually appealing patterns. Not only do they look cool as a sculptural piece, they cast dramatic shadows onto surrounding surfaces.

cassette lamp transparent

Each lamp uses a bright, cool-burning neon light source to keep the plastic cassettes from melting. Of course, they left each tape in its original transparent case so they could be together glued neatly.

cassette tape lamp color

And if you have a fond place in your heart for the old micro-cassette, you don’t have to feel left out. They’ve got a lamp just for you, made from 140 of the mini tapes.

mini cassette tape lamp

Now the guys over at Transparent House don’t say if they’ll be producing these en masse, or if they’re just one-of-a-kind design pieces. Personally, I’d love a couple of these in my media room.

[via geeksugar]

1. Ken says:

It’s quite nice looking. especialy the shadow of the light. I also have a lot of them before. But I threw it away and donate some of them. Now, I can’t find any cassette on my mediabox anymore since switching to iPod. :)

2. Josh says:

Cassettes did sound pretty bad, but somehow every cassette Walkman I ever had sounded better than any iPod I’ve listened to. Probably a combination of low bit-rate mp3′s and the cheap audio components i the iPod.

• habed says:

Analog sounds much better than digital. Sound now is too bright. Can’t compare the sound of a CD to the one from a turntable.

Of course there are a lot of advantages with the new formats. But in terms of sound…. analog is the winner

3. SuperDave says:

I saw this link and ran out to the shed for the gross of 90 minute transparent 90 minute TDK’s I had and they were gone. :( .

Great link, thanks technabob

4. ave13 says:

Really great stuff! Would love such a lamp ;) But not made from my Madonna cassettes :D

5. SJ says:

cool.. the lamps look really good. I’d like to have one of these in my room too ^^

6. margbad says:

CD burners weren’t common in computers until the 2000s, so the only way to copy your cds was with tapes.

7. Paul says:

That’s actually pretty cool — I wonder how hard it would be to duplicate that

8. alex says:

esta lampara innova en cuanto a diseƱo me gustaria poder ver un hibrido de cassette con ipod

9. OOOMYDESIG says:

HEY!!!!!!!!I can’t believe it. I make also cassete tape lamps!
    you can see in http://www.ooomydesign.com

• Copper says:

nO oFfENcE, bUT yoURs ARe SHitE iN CoMPArisON!!

• OOOMYDESIG says:

JEJEJE. YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND MY PHILOSOPHY. I’M SAVING TAPES AROUND THE WORLD AND THIS LAMP IS SOMETHING SNOG TO SOME RICH AND SUPERFLUOUS PERSON WHO CAN PAY THOUSAND OF EUROS FOR IT.

NO OFFENCE EATHER.

• Lisa says:

Copper doesn’t know what he’s talking about. You’ve got great style. :) Nicely done.

• Stephanie says:

I love this lamps amo las lamparassss they are very original ill want to make one just for me :).. i hope get lucky! ..i really think that the best music was listened with Vynil records and cassettes.. the new music or popular songs mostly are remix of old music …and no im not and old person..jajaja i just like music..

10. juan says:

really I love your product.In BALI INDONESIA I also business lamp to but I don’t know how to sale.would you like help me pleas?

11. juan says: