This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.

I agree
Learn More
Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob Daily: Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Stone Ice Cubes Really Put Your Drinks on the Rocks

by Paul Strauss

Wanna look really cool at your next party? When you ask your pals if they’d like a cocktail ask if they want it on the rocks. If they say yes, fix their drinks and bring ’em back with some of these ice cubes that are actually made from stone.

Ice Cube Rocks

Just chill these special ice cube rocks in your freezer for about an hour before use. 2 or 3 rocks should keep your drinks nice and chilled. Originating from Sweden, the cubes are cut from a natural stone called Nordic Rock, known for its ability to retain cold (and to occasionally carry a tune). When not in use, you can keep the rocks in the included leather pouch. This also serves as a handy weapon if you feel the need to beat someone over the head.

Ice Cube Rocks

You can grab a set of 10 rocks from UK gift retailer Mocha for £15.99 (appx. $29 USD). Rock on!

[via roadside scholar]

Comments are closed for posts older than 90 days.

1. haha I love this. They’ll never melt or water down your drink! ..Can’t chew them though..

That is true. I usually like to chomp on my ice cubes after I’m done with my drink. Oh well, what’s a little dental work?

3. tamashumi says:

Well, Sweden wasn’t first.
    December 2007 I bought those for souvenir:
    Made by polish designer, not to metion their got “coolest” look and better finish. There were also some special stone used for better cold keeping. Only minus is lack of leather pouch ;)

4. tamashumi says:

Sorry, I should have pasted link for english version of the site: http://www.chillrocks.com/en/products/page.html

5. Mike says:

You are both wrong. The swedes nor the poles are the first to design this cool item.

It was the finnish designer, Ari Turunen, who created them back in the 80’s made out of soapstone. Check out these links:

• Peter Thompson says:

Hi Mike –
      Thanks for this info. I always wondered this about these stone ice cubes. It makes sense that soapstone was used as it does have some great qualities to retain temperature. Our company has been making these for a number of years. We have them available in 6 packs and 24 packs online at http://www.temperatureware.com – They do quite well and they’re fun to use and talk about. Thanks again Mike and it’s good to finally know more history about the origin of soapstone ice cubes.

• Keith says:

I was in a whiskey bar in Brooklyn NY and they served their bourbon and whiskies in a rocks glass with a single very large ice cube. I have been searching for an ice tray that will produce these large cubes. They were at least 2″x2″ square, maybe a bit larger than that as they fit in a rocks glass perfectly and didn’t melt as fast as smaller ones. If anyone knows where to aquire a tray for these I would love to know where.

• Nathan says:

Its a long delay in replying as I’ve only just seen this so I hope you are still on the same email.

Ikea sell the large ice cube trays you are after, they are silicon rubber and make 4 cubes per tray

6. Venessa says:

There are currently way better ones on the market. Stainless Steel is much better than soapstone. They stay colder longer, are durable, and can be used in any drink. Soapstone is soft, it can crack and pieces can break off and can only be used in 1 or 2 different drinks. The best ones I have seen on the market are Great White Ice Whisky Stones. They have way more benefits and are backed by a lifetime replacement guarantee. You can get at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CIXQ5C4.