Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob in Your Mailbox! Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Google Chrome Os Download, Almost Exactly the Same as the Browser

by Lambert Varias

Curious and/or impatient techies! An early developer build of Google (Google’s?) Chrome OS – which was just formally announced – has been unleashed on the Internet for those who want to take an early early early peek at what I like to call the BrOSer. From what I’ve read about it Chrome OS basically offers lightning quick start up times and… the Chrome browser. I’m sure it will appeal to a portion of humanity, but not to yours truly. Although I know that I’ll give in and download the damned thing anyway.

chrome-os-1

As TechCrunch‘s Jason Kincaid said, you’ll only need three things to run the OS in your system. First you’ll need a Google Account ID, e.g. a Gmail account. Second, you’ll need the disk image itself, which you can either download via torrent (clicking that link will download the torrent file) or at gadget site gdgt. Finally, you’ll need VirtualBox, a free cross-platform virtualization program, although I see no reason why commercial alternatives like VMWare Fusion wouldn’t work.

chrome-os-2

If you’ve tried creating virtual machines before, the steps for installing Chrome OS are pretty straightforward. Just select Linux as the operating system and Ubuntu as the version, then choose “use existing hard disk” when asked which boot hard disk to use, next, next, next… and voila! You just installed the Chrome browser the hard way. Check out the full article at TechCrunch if you want a more detailed walkthrough.

1. Kevin says:

I got this working, sort of. I am able to brows the net, check my gmail, etc. but the first main Chrome tab does not show any of the items seen in the demo yesterday. It instead only asks to login at google with an @google.com account as opposed to the account I logged into Chrome OS with. Also, only able to run the OS at 800*600 resolution (yuck).

2. Mike says:

Chrome OS is just another rebranded Linux GUI, it would be much better if Google came up with an OS that would directly compete with Windows.

3. Jheany says:

I have installed Chrome OS on one of my laptops. Well, it feels like Ubuntu GUI the first time i use it. It is pretty much very basic.

4. Marc Henessy says:

i installed Chrome OS on two of my netbooks. the Chrome OS works great and its loading time is very fast too.

5. I have tried using Chrome OS in one of my desktop PC’s, the overall performance is above average to excellent |

6. Jayden Scott says:

i have tested chrome os both at home and at work, it does not seem to be better than ubuntu:”.

7. greece says:

Although everything about this browser is great i abandoned the use of it just for the simple reason of it CRASHING too OFTEN.Back to Avant which I used to use.