Apple Has Siri and Microsoft Has…GLaDOS? [Kinect Hack]

Owners of the iPhone 4S have their own virtual assistant in the form of the helpful and mostly respectful Siri. But if Corey Thomas gets his way, all PC users can have their own voice-activated virtual assistant too. In the form of the helpful and mostly disrespectful GLaDOS.

microsoft kinect glados by corey thomas

You can’t see GLaDOS in the picture because she’s inside the computer, with ears provided by Kinect. Actually Corey just used her soundbites to give a voice to the program he’s working with, but he did name the program GLaDOS. The demo should explain everything, so without further ado:

I couldn’t help but laugh when GLaDOS muttered, “I hate you so much.” But beyond the laughs and the geek factor, Corey does have serious goals for his program. Once he finalizes the code, he plans on releasing it to the public in hopes that other people can build on it. He thinks that one day it would possible for voice-activated interfaces to be much more common, so that elderly and disabled people could use it to interact not just with computers but with other objects as well. I think Siri is ahead of GLaDOS in that department. You can check out the earlier videos of GLaDOS on Corey’s Vimeo page and keep an eye out for updates on his blog.

[via The Verge]

1. Wheatley says:

Awesome!

2. SPACE CORE says:

SPACE, SPACE SPACE, SPACE SPACE SPACE!

3. GLaDOS says:

The Aperture Science Enrichment Center requires to inform you that we never affiliated with the Microsoft company, so please don’t ever thought that was me speaking there. we’re still interrogating if the Microsoft company has partnership with Black Mesa, as I know they are making cakes and researching for the humanity together

4. Insert name here says:

Nope ur wrong in the old portal days portal have a sign that says “aperture science Microsoft branch”

5. sakoki says:

Awesome. I would totally buy this/donate. But I’d really like GLaDOS to speak more. In the demo vid she often just does what she’s told without even critisizing you. I’d prefer her to be as mean as in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTg00wIijNY
    However, I am looking forward to this. Please, please Corey, make it happen. Also, I would love this to work with the Steam Box. Imagine a Companion Cube talking to you with GLaDOS’ voice.

6. Companion cube says:

GLaDOS is a liar. A big fat liar.