Rock Band Guitar String Mod Kit Available for Purchase

I’m as addicted to Rock Band as the next gaming geek, but I still wish the strum bar on the game’s Fender Stratocaster felt more like a real guitar string. Now you get your hands on a mod kit which will let you swap out the plastic strum bar with an actual metal guitar string.

rock band guitar string mod

Originally a one-of-a-kind guitar mod designed by a guy going by the name A4AJ, it’s now available as a (patent-pending) kit you can install on your own guitar.

The kit includes everything you need to swap out the plastic bar with a playable string, special strum switch, along with several metal strings, springs and even a Fender guitar pick. Yep, with this mod in place and the tension cranked up, you can play the guitar with a pick!

rock band guitar mod kit

Keep in mind that the kit does not include the guitar or the wood backboard, and requires that you perform some fairly significant surgery (Dremel, drilling and soldering) on your stock Stratocaster — obviously voiding your warranty.

The kit works with the PS2, PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of the guitar and is currently up for auction on eBay with a starting bid of $75. At this point A4AJ hasn’t geared up production on the kit, so you’ll have to have the top bid if you want this one.

1. Wicket says:

Don’t know what help this will bring, but it’s still cool. Kudos for you.

2. none says:

Just get a real guitar an be done with it ! much more satisfying ,, fooking guitar hero lmao nubs

3. jason says:

i like the kit but i don’t see how to buy one.

4. jason says:

where can i get a kit?

The auction is already closed. You probably should add this eBay seller to your favorites and just keep an eye out for new auctions:

Maybe he’ll list some more in the future.

6. j dogg says:

man my strum bar is broke how can i get one of those kits?

Unfortunately, he’s sold out and I don’t know if he’s gonna make any more. I had a broken strum bar too, but just exchanged the guitar with EA — got a new guitar in 3 days, and (knock wood) it’s been fine for months of strumming now.

Cool. Glad to hear you’re still making them. Feel free to post your pricing info.

9. vZdWR says:

Please Join This and Bookmark
    [LINK= http://freeazc.110mb.com/ ].plt file viewer free[/LINK] .plt file viewer free

10. asdfasd says:

get a real guitar, dick

11. ZAFFLE THE SPACK says:

WOW I WANT ONE CAN I STEAL YOURS

PS HOW DO I BUY IT

12. haha. that’s pretty neat. I want one :)

13. none says:

i like how the ones who are criticizing over this mod seem to think that people either play rock band or a real guitar, never both.

14. spuke says:

pat pending huh…lol beat u to the design on this gotta love the ps2 n GH 1 thats how out of date u r

15. Lmfao@ghSCRUBS says:

Lmfao, get a real guitar

16. shmoe says:

wow, that would be cooler with all 6 strings. Ive always hated how i could play a solo on my SG, but couldnt pick near fast enough in guitar hero. i guess this would fix that problem! lol, could you imagine sweep picking in rockband… crazy stuff….

17. Carrie says:

Sounds amazing in theory……but the youtube video proves it to be shyte in practice. He’s pushing the string up and down like a wet piece of spaghetti, no tension whatsoever. You’d have more accuracy with a non-modded strumbar using your freakin earlobe!!

18. HUGSaLOT says:

I actually DO own a real guitar, and RB/GH, DICK.

19. The style of writing is quite familiar to me. Did you write guest posts for other bloggers?

20. Mephios says:

Fuck you learn to play at a real guitar this is a bullshit game for noobs better buy an acoustic and learn

• Dingdow says:

If you don’t like us playing our game get off the site!!!!! I enjoy playing and the best part HAVING FUN. Go pratice for 8 hours a day for months and see if you can feel as good as I do when I learn the songs on the games. T.T.F.N.

21. ChrisMonos says:

Am I the only one who uses a plectrum on the GH guitar? Everyone seems to think I’m a weirdo for doing so, but I can’t seem to play the game at all without one.

Not a bad Idea. It’s actually a very old idea, but I don’t see too many people attempting it for GH.

Has anyone played on a Midi guitar? Imagine playing something like Guitar hero with a Japanese Midi guitar. Now thats perfection!

• Dingdow says:

I have been using one for GH and RB for years. It just feels better to me. I would like a more senitive strum bar though. Rock on bro.

22. Ross J. Feickert says:

I used to be in the “get a real guitar” camp, but reflection has altered my point of view.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band have re-invigorated guitar-driven music. As a guitar player I see this as nothing but a good thing. Keep wailing away at the game kiddies.

23. ndking says:

wow this is retarted im mean yeah its cooler to have a stinf to strums but its pointless with one string i am currently making one with 3strings so it has a point to be made (and by the its my idea and its not cool to take it and if you do i’ll will sue worse than if you call tom cruize gay)

24. guitarfest says:

I’m waiting for Fender to bring out the Slash ‘Appetite’ Telecaster. I’ve never been a fan of Gibson guitars and this just cements my low opinion of them. It’s such a stupid act that it makes me wonder if its a viral stunt, that or they’ve been smoking some pretty serious gear over at Gibson.tsa-guiterfest

25. dog says:

yeh its cool and all but it kind of destroys the whole purpose of a real guitar.

• Dingdow says:

Nope, just havin’ fun and my fingers don’t bleed. And I don’t have to spend hours learning one part of a song. Let alone getting along with the guys in a “real” band. I enjoy my friday night concerts at home.