Mini Augmented Reality Ads Hit Newstands

This amazing new advertisement for MINI uses augmented reality (AR) technology to create a truly interactive media piece out of a 2-dimensional magazine ad.

mini augmented reality ar advertisement automobile 3d

Using AR tracking technology, as you hold the ad up to your computer’s webcam, you’ll see a 3-D model of a MINI Cabrio convertible that moves as you turn the sheet of paper around.

mini augmented reality ar advertisement automobile 3d

All you need is a copy of the ad, a webcam, and a web browser (sorry, Internet Explorer/ActiveX only) to view the 3-D AR effect. It won’t hurt if you can read German too.

YouTube Preview Image

The ad campaign was created by Munich, Germany agencies Buzzin Monkey and die agentour GmbH.

mini augmented reality ar advertisement automobile 3d

The ad appeared recently in three German automotive magazines: Auto, Motor und Sport, Werben & Verkaufen and Autobild, but if you want to see how it works right now you can print out a PDF of the ad and head on over to the MINI augmented reality web site to check it out for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.

[via MediaPost via ARTweets]

1. Cory O'Brien says:

I love the concept of this ad, I just wish they would have taken it one step further and allowed you to change the paint color, interior color, wheels, etc. so that it becomes a virtual showroom in the palm of your hands. Definitely a cool idea though.

2. Evan says:

I love how it’s mocked up and shown on an iMac… but then only works in Internet Explorer with ActiveX. Someone failed on execution.

3. Dwight. says:

Didn’t Nissan already do this with the cube?
    They handed out brochures at the LA Auto show which, when held up to your webcam, shows various 3D models of their latest vehicle, the cube.

You can get a brochure at

• technabob says:

Sure looks mighty similar. I wonder if the Nissan demo works with Macs or Firefox at least.

• Dwight. says:

Unfortunately, it’s not in-browser. You have to get the brochure itself. In it, there will be a CD be installed. However, there are several pages that each show different AR vehicles and interior glimpses. Cory O’Brian would be happy to know that there is a function to change the vehicle’s color and another to change the interior style.

4. Les prémices d’une nouvelle holographie !

5. We do the same here but the marker page can be printed so everybody can use it and it is in flash (9 or higher) and works with each browser and OS. In this example we show the powergorilla laptop charger in scale 1;1 relative to A4 paper.

• Veena says:

Yes, it’s cool that your site works for Firefox. But what’s up with the “you may be recorded” bit? Kinda creepy…I didn’t do it just because of that.

6. Marcus says:

Interesting post you got here. I’d like to read more about this theme.

7. 3d models says:

Free download all 3d models, 3d Video Tutorials, 3D Materials, 3D Textures, Vray Materials,3D Girls,New 3d Video and latest 3d jobs

8. Mighty Bob says:

I tried to go on the link for the website, but when I go there it says ‘ Error 404, Site not found’. Can any one try and help me out, by find out if the website still exists, and could you send me the link so that I can try it, Thank You!!!

9. Steve Curtis says:

That is an amazing new way to advertise and very interactive with the consumer. I think that there should be a company that creates these, I could use them for my car repair business.

10. travel insurance says:

Really nice and interesting post you got here. I’d like to know more about this theme and design.

11. Boston Limo says:

There’s definately a lot to find out about this issue. I like all of the points you’ve made.

12. Sharon J. says:

I get it. :) I have always had an appreciation for advertising. I respect rhetoric in its highest- and lowest- forms.

13. Mighty Bob says:

Errm, what was that about?????