Xbox 360 August 2007 Update Problems

Xbox 360 Logo[UPDATE: It appears that the problems with the update and Xbox Live Marketplace have been corrected as of about 11:30 Central Time this morning.]

The latest Xbox 360 System Update appears to be causing major problems for gamers today. Speaking from personal experience, the update appears to be completely breaking Xbox Live for some users.

The symptom is that your console will say that Xbox Live requires an update, then you’ll try to run the update and after several minutes, the update fails. It then provides advice that you need to test your connection, which eventually tells you that you need an Xbox Live update to complete the tests. I even went as far as reformatting the hard drive on my 360 to make sure there wasn’t some corrupted data on there.

A number of users over on Major Nelson’s site are also reporting similar problems this morning. Microsoft hasn’t provided any information yet on when a fix might be available. I even sat on the 1-800-4MY-XBOX line for about 90 minutes earlier this morning to see if they could provide any insight, but eventually got disconnected and gave up.

…and I thought I’d be checking out that new Stranglehold demo tonight. Oh well, hopefully someone in Redmond is listening.

1. manchicken says:

Really? I wasn’t noticing this problem… I downloaded the update last night around 1800-1900.

Problems lasted for a couple of hours intermittently this morning. Seems like they’ve got it all straight now. Too bad I did the drive reformat though. Now I have to re-download all my content, and I lost my game saves.

3. gleaner says:

After the update it hangs when I go into the live messenger area.
    And everything is really really sloooooooow.

I assume you’ve tried a reboot? After the update finally worked, I didn’t run into any of the speed problems you’re describing.

5. gleaner says:

yes yes, now it hangs when I’m trying to save & sometimes load a game!
    hmm… weird. Somethings not right.. might be just my xbox only.

Have you tried clearing your hard drive cache? That might fix the problem, but you may need to re-download game updates after you do this…

To clear the cache on the Xbox 360 do the following:

-Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System Blade, and select Memory.
    -Highlight the Hard Drive symbol and press Y.
    -Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.

You will see a confirmation message to confirm system maintenance, proceed.

This can’t hurt anything, so it might be worth a shot.

7. MikeCamel says:

jus an fyi, dont waste ur time with xbox live supprts, i called and was on the fone for 60 mins, they gave me all these solutions and noting worked, so they plain out told me to call them back in a couple of weeks to see if they have a solution…y cnat they jus put the update on their site so i can d.l it and put in a cd and put it on my 360….logical enough..rite? and the clearing the hard drive cache doesnt fix it either, it has nothing to do with the harddrive..

well if the update didn’t install, downloading the updater and burning a disc works, but it sounds like gleaner got the update and it messed up his 360 after the fact,

9. My Xbox 360 doesn’t update at all my Xbox 360 tries to update but after ten or fifteen seconds it say’s it can not update and everything I try wouldn’t work and I am starting to get annoyed can you help,I would really appreciate it.

10. Robert Oytun says:

Simon,

I have the same problem, I have tried update CD did not work, tried many times online NEVER WORKS, connected XBOX to assigned IP, no luck, tried different locations, no luck, called support USELESS, spent 45 hours on it, and gave up

11. angela says:

The update deleted all of saved games – Oblivion, Civilizations, Lego Star Wars, Indiana Jones… Any ideas on how to retrieve my data?

12. tiernan says:

im new at this when i try to get xbox live it says i need to get an update when i agree it sats i cant cause my connection isint working but when i do the test of my connection everything is fine except for xbox live cause it asks me 4 the update
    i have an eircom netopia router but i dont think that makes a difference

13. cocopoplord says:

can someone please help me.I pluged my ethernet cable into my modem tested connection and xbox live comes up with a update i click yes moments later failed and tells me to go to xbox.com/update or xbox.com/setup

14. chazbakes says:

I do not even want the live mess- I put in some stupido cd demo and then when I went to play my games it shows I have no avatar. How do I just retrieve the avatar that I lost??

15. tori says:

Silly me. I thought Microsft would be a little more prepared as in: Gee, let’s tell our customers we are updating and then tell them it doesn’t work! I want to be credited for my Gold account the time it takes them to get a patch and fix this problem. I deleted my cache too. Sadly, playing offline.