Directv Hr21 Pro HD Dvr Image Leaked

I was over on DBSTalk this morning reading about some fun I was having with my DirecTV HD DVR, when I stumbled across this interesting image.

hr21 pro small

The upcoming DirecTV HR21 PRO looks like a whopper of a high-definition DVR, capable of recording up to 100 hours of HD programming. The recorder is clearly aimed at the high end of the market, with a black, rack-mountable case that’s perfect for serious home theater installations.

According to the flyer (from the upcoming CEDIA show), the recorder will also feature a newfangled “Optical HDMI” port (aka “DLI“), which will allow for digital signals to be sent via fiber optic cable, allowing for longer runs than regular HDMI. From the front panel, it also looks like it’s the first DirecTV DVR to support 1080p output. While I’m excited about the prospects of this DVR, I’m a little concerned that I don’t see any over-the-air antenna input on the back panel, which could be a deal-killer for some.

Not much else is known about the HR21 PRO at this point (it’s rumored to be coming this November, price unknown), but this is definitely one to watch for if you’re a DirecTV subscriber.

[Hi-res Image Here]

1. Mike says:

Look at Direct TV channel 201 and 77 and they mention the HR21 and H21

Yeah, I noticed that too. But this is the first time I’ve seen a picture of one or heard any specs. One guy over on DBSTalk claims DirecTV quoted him $599 (but “lease only”) whatever that means. You’d think if it were a lease, there wouldn’t be a big up-front charge.

3. Sang Lee says:

What is DLI? I have never heard of this

HDCP-DLI (Digital Light Interface) is apparently similar to HDMI, except it works via an optical connection. I’d imagine you’d use it so you can have much longer cable runs than you can with HDMI, then you’d have to have a converter of some sort at the receiving end, since no displays that I know of support DLI at this point.

5. logiclust says:

6. Ben says:

I think what he means is that its Prosumer gear – for people such as myself who run 4 TVs off one centrally located rack of AV kit. I would imagine its no different to a standard DirectTV box (not sure what these are like being in the UK), but upscaling to 1080p, bigger HDD and with the rack ears. There would be no use for a device such as this in a broadcast facility. (It is, after all, a satellite reciever!)

Yeah, definitely “PROsumer” here at best. And even that is a big question, leaving out the OTA receiver. Everyone who’s remotely “pro” knows that DTVs local channels are so much more compressed than the OTA versions that it’s always better to watch those. Maybe an HR20-700, an SATA drive upgrade and some black spray paint would be better?

8. New DirecTV HR21 DVR coming for prosumers…

I caught a report in Technabob, by way of EngadgetHD, on a a new DirecTV DVR aimed at professional installers and high-end consumers, the HR21 PRO Series HD DVR.
    This is a rack-mount device for the kind of installations hidden away in an equipment roo…

9. fiberiscool says:

I just visited the DirecTV booth at CEDIA and saw the HR21 in action. Picture quality is great. This box is 1080i, not 1080p.

The coolest thing of the HR21 is the DLI output (HDMI over fiber optics). The fiber optic line looks like fishing line. It is basically invisble and very long with no signal loss. This cable can actually be installed on the wall simplifying some custom installations especially when used with wall mounted HDTV’s or Projectors acording to the DirecTV salespeople.

I did some research and found out that a company called OWLink Technology is the one that has this fiber optic technology. Check out http://www.owlink.com.

10. Any idea how much these things are going to cost? I really want one..

11. Eric In Alaska says:

can i get this does it really exist

12. Kyle says:

“if it’s so ‘pro’ (and it looks like it because it has rack ears) where’s the hdsdi? where are the BNCs? you still couldn’t integrate this into a broadcast facility without buying other stuff to convert all its outs… Pro but just as useless in a pro environment.”

good luck watching any hd channels over HD-SDI, don’t forget about HDCP which HD-SDI will not cover.

Kyle

13. Ron says:

If we all are switching to an all digital signal in february 2009, why would directv need to put a OTA plug on the HR21 pro?

The OTA connector is for over-the-air DIGITAL HD signals, which have a tendency to be less compressed than the locals via DirecTV.

15. lance says:

its 1080p buddy and from the looks of it,it just looks something to comepete with dish’s turbo hd which broadcasts in full 1080p

I actually have the (older) HR20 here, and last week, they updated the software to support 1080p too.

17. Ron says:

you mean that I will not need a HR21 pro since I also have the older model HR20 and have recieved the software upgrade that says it now support 1080p, but the box says broad cast is 1080i what’s up with that?

First off, you’ll need to go into the HR20′s display settings and tell it that your display supports 1080p. At this point DTV isn’t broadcasting any programming in 1080p, so you won’t see anything different until they start offering Full HD content.