Recycled Cds Turned Into Furniture

Got a few thousand spare compact discs lying around? Designer Belen Hermosa apparently had a few spare CDs and created this funky modern chair out of them.

cd chair

For some reason, I’m guessing it’s not the world’s most comfortable chair, but it sure beats sitting on a bunch of 8-track tapes.

I’m really not sure why he named his creation the “Panda Chair”, since all I see are CDs and a metal frame — no pandas anywhere in sight. Maybe it’s the same reason that Chinese mall food joint is called Panda Express. Every time I try to order the Kung Pao Panda, they look at me like I have three heads.

[via designboom]

1. Matthew says:

Although it’s rather weird… it looks rather cool too. I wonder if the CD’s are free spinning or if they are glued/locked in to place. It would make for some killer slide if they could roll.

2. the scholar says:

that chair is frickin AWESOME.

3. It’s really great people likes my chair, and I promise all you all CDs rolls…people that took a sit on it during the Valencia Fair can corroborate it! hehehe

; )

Belen: Awesome job on the chair! Can you tell us why you called it the “Panda Chair”?

5. maybe it’s stupid but…lots of friends helped me to do it (u know, young designers have no money…)…so 5 of them are represented in the name of the chair…
    p=pedro
    a=arantza
    n=nagore
    d=diego
    a=aritz

i know! it makes no sense! hahahaa

Actually, that makes plenty of sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

7. Elli Gratsia says:

Dear Sir(s),
    my name os Elli Gratsia and I am style edtior for the greek edition of Marie Claire Deco magazine. I am doing an article on Eco Planet including of course recycling. I was wondering if I can refer to the recycled cds turned into furniture. If it is ok with you, can you please send me an image of the recycled cds chair in high resolution so that it will be published? Do you have in any other recycled objects?
    Waiting for your answer,
    Elli Gratsia

You should probably contact Belen Hermosa directly:

9. Belen says:

Thanks technabob! they contacted me! ;)

Glad to be of service. Hope you get into the magazine!

11. Burger Bradley says:

This chair would be truely wonderful if the cds were replaced with fresh delightful BURGERS. i know in my case the chair wouldnt last long BUT i would be satisfied knowing i had conquered a BURGER CHAIR

I wouldn’t want to get ketchup on my pants.

13. fresh fred says:

NNNNNEEEEERRRRRDDDDDSSSS

14. Sonikku says:

Very cool, but man that chair must weigh a ton! I’m with the guy above, this would make a cool slide if they rotated. :D Then it’d be the “impossible chair” to sit in :D

15. Lily says:

wow where are the materials for that i really wanna make it awesome its like disco time

16. Jamie says:

How many CD’s did it take to make that???

17. Chairpersssunn says:

can and where can i buy one and HOW MUCH were building and i want random MUSIC related funiture i am a music producer so… u kno