Sega Genesis Portable: Get Your Retro Jollies on the Run

Here’s a fun way to play some of your favorite 16-bit console oldies whenever the whim strikes. This new portable plays a selection of games from the classic SEGA Genesis (aka Mega Drive) console.

SEGA Portable Mega Drive

AtGames Mega Drive Portable
is loaded up with a twenty licensed classic (and some not-so-classic) titles from the late 80s console. The compact system features a backlit LCD color screen, and can also output to a TV via composite video if you want to play the games on a bigger screen. While the games aren’t 100% identical to the originals (word is that the audio is a little inaccurate), gameplay and graphics are said to be pretty accurate overall.

The built-in titles include favorites like Sonic and Knuckles, Ristar, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Golden Axe, Ecco the Dolphin and Altered Beast. As with most retro gaming collections, there are a few duds in there too, but it’s still sounds well worth the $39 price tag.

[via Ben Heck Forums]

1. Awww, man…I wish someone would do this for the old Colecovision system…I LOVE that thing…;)

K

2. Allan Hoejgaard says:

Kevin, if you like that one then you are going to love the GP2X F200 with the MAMEGP2x emulator.

Allan – I fixed your broken link in the original comment – I’m not sure why it didn’t like it in the first place, but I’m investigating. Thanks for the comment.

4. chod says:

pretty awesome idea. if it dont have streets of rage 2 with it, then it can go fcuk its self. :)

5. TecToy (a Sega licensee in Brazil) is selling the same console here, as the “Mega Drive Portable”. The color scheme is different (ours is blue and white, instead of black & red) but the game selection and technical specs are the same. The price is far higher, tough, selling for R$ 200, about US$ 115.

The controls are good enough, albeit a little bit small (specially the buttons) and the graphics and sound are really close to the originals. A good alternative on a market flooded with overpriced NES clones, like this “Wi System” [1], basically a NES with 2 wireless controllers and 106 games for about US$ 150.

[1] http://zumo.com.br/2008/01/17/nao-e-o-wii-com-certeza/

6. stephen miller says:

when and where will you be able to buy the portable sega genesis

7. Brian says:

Someone’s gotta make one of these with like a 10gb card with every genesis, nes, intellivision, sega cd, etc game ever made on it!

I’d pay 400+ for one of those.

-B
    My Classic Game Blog

8. apo says:

you can put all your Games/Roms in your mobile phone. there is an program/Emulator “picodrive” for nokia phones S60 3rd edition. Edit the ending of the names of your roms into .bin to run on picodrive.

9. I think its awesome that they included the ability to use a composite cable out to a bigger tv screen. That being said, I really wish they’d have made a way to add more games to it. Or did they add this feature, and I’m just completely blind?

10. Elzu Beth says:

I knew 1st time about SEGA Genesis gaming consoles. I never tried to it. Is it available for all country?

Thanks

11. Axle says:

Why doesn’t everyone just buy a PSP and hack it to play emulators?

12. Rashid Aliyev says:

Is there 6 button version of this pad? I mean X-Y-Z, A-B-C?