X

This website uses cookies.

This website uses cookies to improve user experience. By using our website you consent to all cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy.

I agree
Learn More
Visit the New Technabob Shop!Get Technabob Daily: Join our Mailing List! | Follow Us: Facebook | Twitter

Clock Combines Digital, Analog Worlds

by Paul Strauss

This amazing clock combines the 7-segment look of a modern LED or LCD clock, but messes with your head by making the digits come to life with a mechanical movement.

D/A Clock by Alvin Aronson

D/A Clock by Alvin Aronson Closeup

Designed and realized by RISD BFA student Alvin Aronson, the D/A Clock is a clever mash-up between the digital and analog universes. As the numerals change state, the segments gradually rise and fall into their plain white background.

YouTube Preview Image

Built from a combination of Corian and wood, and powered by custom circuitry and servo mechanisms, it’s truly a masterpiece of modern minimalism.

Alvin, if you’re listening, please find a way to mass-produce these beauties.

[via VVORK]

Comments are closed for posts older than 90 days.

1. Don says:

Fantastic!! If Alvin does start tp produce tese please let me know. Or if he would sell me the plans so I can make my own.

2. petr says:

Minimalist? KLook at the size of the thing. And I would not cal it clever. Merely different.

3. O Bell says:

It would be even better to integrate this INTO the wall. Have it look like the numbers are just imposing themselves from another dimension.

Also, is this connected similarly to a 7 segment LED display? Would it be possible to just put together a similar assembly and disconnect the LED assembly from a regular clock and connect this the same way? I guess quite a few transistors would be in order and doubtlessly a microcontroller.

Anybody have more details about this project?

4. It is a little large, but otherwise very cool! When they can make smaller ones, I would buy one.

5. Frederick says:

Wonderful! I love the concept.

6. Stuart Perry says:

I want one so much I’ll help you get them mass produced..!!

I agree with O Bell — built into a white wall would be awesome.

8. Tom says:

The concept is really cool! I would buy one!

9. chuckie says:

coming out of the wall would be cool but I’m thinking about lighting as the numbered segments raised up they would light up.

10. very good – i have seen these in london somewhere?

11. Amazing…! its awesome… i mean eyes can’t believe this dude!

these kind a clocks will throw analog/digital clock away from us.

Techdudes.

12. chizzomanisso says:

i like that…
    and i wanna buy that…

so let me know when it’s in production (hopefully it will be).

13. Dijital saat says:

Very nice. thanks

14. patrick says:

Have these been made for sale yet? or just a great idea that died out?