Das Keyboard: No Letters = Faster Typing

I sit at a computer much of the day and always thought I was a pretty fast typer. But apparently, those pesky painted letters on my key caps are actually slowing me down. Thankfully, there’s a new keyboard that gets rid of the tiny bit of extra drag that those characters put on my tapping fingertips.

das keyboard black detail

The Das Ultimate Keyboard is completely blank. That’s right, each and every one of its 104 keys (105 in Europe) is devoid of letters, numbers, or special characters of any sort. For those of us who are completely in touch with our touch-typing capabilities, I say, why the heck not?

das keyboard black

Your friends and co-workers will certainly think you’re way too cool for them, what with this stealthy black beast on your desktop. Never mind the fact that Das Keyboards are designed to be the best and fastest keyboards on the planet. Featuring German-engineered gold-plated mechanical switches, each key offers up a satisfying tactile and audible “click” when pressed (supposedly reminiscent of the “legendary” IBM model M keyboard).

das keyboard black 2

Also along for the ride is a built-in high-speed USB hub, and a nice long 2-meter (6.6 foot) USB cable, giving you plenty of slack for efficient typing. But if your QWERTY often reads QSFRTG, you can go for the Das Professional – which still has all its letters – but what are you, some sort of wimp?

Das Ultimate and Professional keyboards normally retail for $129, but if you pre-order now you can grab one for just $99. (They’re supposed to be released on 7/14, so you better get a move on!)

[via Gear Diary]

1. lol says:

awessoomeee

2. Tiny Tiger says:

Majority of us have used keyboards for quite some time…so we all know where all the keys are. Subconciously, we know where all the keys are anyway (I type this looking at the keyboard twice just incase!)

3. DudeZilla says:

Its true that we get used to KBs, but what do you do when you are cleaning it ? *Evil*

4. Oloijo says:

This keyboard is better

but write on it a signs

5. Angry Roy says:

you can make your own. just paint over the letters. i’m doing that on my laptop right now. i beat the system. fuck you.

6. Ken says:

Man, this is weirdly awesome! No letters keyboard will amazed my nieces – because they will wondering how I can type on this alien keyboard! LOL

7. Alan says:

They’ll think it really alien if you paint weird symbols and squiggles on the keys.

8. Ian S says:

At 3. Whats it matter if you don’t know where the buttons came from.? They’re all the same anyway.

9. Calum says:

I have a simpler solution…. Grab an old keyboard and apply Tip-ex to the keys?! Why the hell would i pay (only) $99 for what is already an old idea. I’ve seen other versions of this and frankly, there are better keyboards on the market for a fraction of the price.

You’re only paying an extorsionate ammount for the privallige of not being able to see the keys. As i said, nothing a bit of Tip-ex can’t handle!

10. jbee says:

Photoshopped!

11. Axion says:

this has been on thinkgeek.com for about 4 years. What is this “release” you talk of?

12. Dave says:

How does it make you type faster?
    o_O

To Axion: The release is that these are a redesigned version (v3.0) of the keyboard which improves upon the original which has been up on ThinkGeek for a while.

To Dave: Okay – you got me. Maybe it’s not any faster because its blank (unless you think that the paint on the keys cause wind resistance). But the Das keyboards in general do improve typing speed and accuracy because of their high-quality switches and excellent tactile feedback.

14. Jan Barker says:

If you were taught to type the old-fashioned way (i.e. KWK space, JYJ space, KWK space, JYJ space, KWK space, JYJ space, ad infinitum) you will still look at the number keys.

It was deliberate policy *not* to teach where the numbers were so you had to check them (and thus avoid an error when typing dates, prices etc). Slightly skewed logic.

15. Jon says:

The “Daskeyboard” lettering defeats the purpose. They don’t get it.

16. Jon says:

I’d never get anything accomplished, even after 25 years of typing, I still don’t know the keyboard by touch.

17. max says:

ahhah…. lol my keyboard is so old (like 10 years or something) that most of its keys are blank…(at least the letter and number keys) and im a programmer so some of the other keys are blank, too. theyre shiny and sticky now.