Tetris Hits the Streets (Somewhere) in Australia

I came across these magnificent falling Tetris block sculptures snooping around over on Flickr earlier today.

tetris block australia 0

When I first stumbled onto these images over on Justin James’ Flickr gallery, all I could figure out was that they’re a) giant Tetris pieces and b) they were seen somewhere on the streets of Australia. Given a land mass of over 7,686,850 square kilometers, I figured it might take some legwork to find these in person.

tetris block australia 1

A little sleuthing revealed this photo which provided the missing link in finding the true location of these massive falling bricks.

tetris block australia 3

It turns out if you happen to be wandering the streets of Sydney, you can find these oversize, illuminated Tetris block sculptures floating over your head as you walk through the narrow corridors of Abercrombie Lane.

tetris block australia 2

Further exploration revealed that Giant Tetris (aka “One More Go One More Go”) is actually part of an outdoor art exhibition called Live Lanes – By George! which runs through January 31, 2009. The larger-than-life installation was put together by the guys over at Gaffa Gallery, who clearly have fond memories of the classic brick-stacking puzzler.

You’d better get over there quick, before all of the blocks fall to the ground and fill up the entire alley.

1. lambert v. says:

or before they form a straight line and vanish. :D

2. justin james says:

haha that is awesome. Thanks for taking interest. On my first day of exploring Sydney we did a double take and took a few steps back to make sure we weren’t really going crazy. Thanks for writing this up it made my day. ;) I was going through and geo-tagging the pics when i noticed this one take interest in this photo. The second one you used is my favorite. (at least it is all in focus) Thanks again!

Justin: great photos! Thanks for stopping by!

4. Christian says:

Awesome! Is it still there? If so, I’ll make my way to take alook at it myself!!

Yep. It’s there until January 31.

6. Christian says:

Wow! Alright, I’m gonna head over there on the weekend and take some pics!!

7. Ceejay says:

dayumm, i was in the city yesterday to shop and the qvb and i was walking in george st and then my friend ran off with my money as a joke and he ran into the alley and we stopped running and we was like DAYUMM!!
    it was this alley and we took out our phones and took snapshots..lol

hahaha

8. John Swayze says:

I’ve just purchased tetris shelving units from two Australian based designers. Very cool and surprisingly affordable http://www.cibela.com.au

9. Peter says:

Man, I used to love Tetris. Spent most of my youth glued to a Gameboy trying to finish Level 9 High 5. If you played the game, you would know what I mean. Addictive, but massive fune