Rambo Tv Game: the Video Game Console That Time Forgot

I was digging around the deep recesses of Flickr earlier today, when I came across a picture of what could be one of the greatest video game console oddities of all time.

rambo tv game

Apparently, this Rambo TV Game console came out at some point back in the 1990s. It’s a serious doppelganger for the Atari 2600, and actually claims to have had 208 built-in games. Despite the “2600 compatible” labeling, the photos on the box make me think this was one of those cheap NES/Famicom clone systems from China. And check out those joysticks…

rambo tv game system

While I certainly don’t remember this system, I did manage to find a brief mention of the Rambo TV console over on the Ultimate Console Database – and the version they show has 2,001 built-in games.

rambo tv game system 2

And the one in this YouTube video claims to have a whopping 11,555 built-in games! Of course, they neglected to mention that 11,554 of them suck, and the final one is a knock-off of  E.T.: the Extra-Terrestrial.

There’s not much more to say about this rarity, except that anything that combines an Atari 2600 and Sly Stallone is okay in my book.

[photos via Flickr]

1. dacian says:

I used to have this console in the early 90s. It was very popular here in Romania, and I assume all of eastern Europe at least. All the kids had these, so I think they were really cheap. I remember some kids had two or three of them. They were sold in markets alongside all kinds of pirated electronic and apparel brands like Plima, Adibas, Osaka, Roibok, and my favorite – Panasony. They were made extremely cheap with empty plastic cases with very small electronic components. The joysticks used to break into pieces a few days after purchase and we were forced to play by pressing the contacts inside with our fingers. It was very uncomfortable and you could easily get cuts or scratches from them. They did actually have over a hundred games (the number varied by model) but they were all at the 80s level of design, most really bad atari clones. No sound, of course. You could cycle through the games in a single direction by repeatedly pushing one of the 4 metal switches. Some of the models had a game cartridge reader (below “video game system”) but I never ever saw any cartridges.
    Good times, though :)

2. Elltry says:

I also have one of that game in early ’90. It was very modern for those days in Poland. I remember I had “no name” – only it was written “192 video game”. Later there were many variations of these games under different names and more games. Joysticks were poor quality, spoiled after a few movements, but the match from the Commodore. I remember that first game suddenly become the last game (can not remember the name) – perhaps something in the EPROM confused …
    Also, I have never seen any cardriges – from Commodore doesn’t match.
    At the weekend I go to the cellar, and I find it – maybe I still work – I would like to play River Raid :)

• Oliver says:

I have a picture of my little bro, playing River Raid on Rambo.After I’ll find it he’s going to publish it on facebook and brag to all his friends, he’s the one that played the oldest Activision game first :))

3. me says:

thank you VERY VERY MUCH for this post. i had one of this myself when i was young. i never tought i’d see one again. you’ve made my day

4. who's this guy says:

wooooooooooo i miss this shit :D .. haha

5. adi says:

I had one just like the one above in the pictures and a few days ago in a chat with an old friend we remembered the good old days. there was a game in this console, I was nuts for it with an white airplane that you had to fly between walls and you had to shoot tanks and helicopters. it was a lot of fun, can anyone remember the name of that game or if there is a version of it to be played, please

6. Brainows says:

Ooh la la… I used to have it in early nineties in Ukraine and as someone mentioned above everyone in Eastern Europe had them those days. The thing was that first joystick would break the very first hour of play so then you go really careful with second one. Crazy stuff

7. bojan says:

hehehe My first console too. Croatia 93/96 This brings tears to my eyes becouse back then me and my twin brother play it together and smile and now we don’t speak for about 7 years :(((((

8. zorbi says:

Hehe I had one of these too in Hungary in the early 90′s. We played so much with it, but the original joysticks went wrong almost immediately. We had to replace them with some more durable models.

9. T3M3L13 says:

God…what memories..I remember I was six then..and me and my friends from the block went to the market and I saw it on the table, it was for sale.I told my grandfather I wanted it and he said “yes of course I’ll buy it for you”.And the next day I came back to the market with my friends and I said to them in front of the seller “My grandfather said he’ll buy me this sh*t!” And the seller gave me that look and he said “Yeah rigt…in your dreams maybe”…Guess what happened: the next day, early in the morning, I barely woke up when I saw my grandfather coming home with that seller and, of course, the console to install it for me.And then he gave me the look I’ll never forget..it was some kind of respect and envy at the same time…

10. Manuela says:

where could i buy it????

11. Leart77 says:

Whoho, I had one of those in 94′
    The joystick used to break since the first move but someone produced by himself a quantity of repairing parts that will not break so easily :)
    I used this a lot till I get a original 80′ Nintendo with cartridge :)
    Greetings from Albania