Skully Helmets P1 Heads up Display Gives You Eyes in the Back of Your Head

A company called Skully Helmets has unveiled a new and very cool helmet called the Skully P1. This helmet is notable because it has an integrated rearview camera that shows what’s behind the rider on a small heads up display in the visor of the helmet. That rearview camera provides a 180-degree view of what’s behind the wearer.

skully tb2 620x616magnify

The helmet is also able to pair to smartphones and offers voice controls for calls, music, and turn-by-turn navigation directions. The helmet uses the something Skully calls their Synapse HUD, which appears to float 20 feet in front of the rider’s field of view. The overlay is persistent and has two views for the rider to choose from. One of the views is a standard rearview camera mode and the other offers detailed turn-by-turn navigation.

skully tb1 620x348magnify

The helmet runs on internal battery good for nine hours of use per charge. The helmet is powered by the Android operating system and the company plans to launch an SDK next year allowing developers to make apps specifically for the helmet. In addition to all of it’s high tech chops, the helmet meets DOT and ECE safety standards. Pricing and a release date is unannounced at this time.

[via Wired]

1. Chris Hawkins says:

Love the look of that new helmet !

2. Paul says:

Please send me info on your helmet with pricing and estimate when I can purchase one thank u

3. Juana Herrera says:

I would like one for my son. I want to know the price. Thx

4. donald says:

Need a test pilot let Knowles

5. Lucy says:

great, now motorcyclists can be dumbed down on the road as much as car drivers. Adding a helmet full of distractions is NOT a good idea!

6. Harly macasling says:

Send me the price and link of the seller…

7. Chris says:

NO. Think of the crotch rocket jerk offs. Their brains can barely handle their bikes. Do you think they can handle video, say commands, etc. (multitask). Good luck. I hope this is a spoof company and video.

8. Shane says:

You folks that are knocking this, Have you ever ridden a bike?? I’m not talking about a crotch rocket. I’m talking about riding a bike for its intended purpose? This would be an asset to me for long trips, daily commuting and IF I rode on a track it would be awesome to have as a race helmet.
    the dip sticks that ride like idiots on the road don’t need a helmet like this. they should have never been able to buy a bike in the first place. Hopefully it has a video record option to show the last actions of the dumb driving that they display.

This is an awesome idea for a rider that is looking for an all in one package for extra safety. Not for the stunt bike rider. Unless your on a closed course and a professional.